Javascript And Firefox

jin_pengyou

I found this javascript to create collapsible menu, but it doesn't work in Firefox 3.In the error console, it returns that the menu are undefined.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /><title>Untitled Document</title><script type="text/javascript"var on_off=new Array();var menu_code=new Array();number_of_menus=4;menu_code[0]="Option 1<br />Option 2<br />Option 3<br />";menu_code[1]="Option 1<br />Option 2<br />Option 3<br />";menu_code[2]="Option 1<br />Option 2<br />Option 3<br />";menu_code[3]="Option 1<br />Option 2<br />Option 3<br />";for (i=0; i<number_of_menus; i++){ on_off[i]=0;}function collapse_menu(menu_id, menu_number){  if (on_off[menu_number]==0){	menu_id.innerHTML=menu_code[menu_number];	on_off[menu_number]=1;  }else{	menu_id.innerHTML="";	on_off[menu_number]=0;  }}</script></head><body><p><div onclick="collapse_menu(menu1, 0); return false">Menu 1</div><span id="menu1"></span><div onclick="collapse_menu(menu2, 1); return false">Menu 2</div><span id="menu2"></span><div onclick="collapse_menu(menu3, 1); return false">Menu 3</div><span id="menu3"></span><div onclick="collapse_menu(menu4, 1); return false">Menu 4</div><span id="menu4"></span></p></body></html>

Its working in Opera, in IE and I suppose in will work in Safari since its working in Opera. If you have a better way to do what this script does, feel free to share, this code is just very, very basic.

Edited by jin_pengyou

This Javascript is basing itself on a "feature" of Internet Explorer.

collapse_menu(menu1, 0);

In Internet Explorer, menu1 as written there is a direct reference to the element with id "menu1".However, in Firefox, which parses Javascript correctly, menu1 is just the name of a variable that hasn't been declared previously.To access an element by its id, use the getElementById() function

This Javascript is basing itself on a "feature" of Internet Explorer.
collapse_menu(menu1, 0);

In Internet Explorer, menu1 as written there is a direct reference to the element with id "menu1".However, in Firefox, which parses Javascript correctly, menu1 is just the name of a variable that hasn't been declared previously.To access an element by its id, use the getElementById() function

Like this?
function collapse_menu(menu_id, menu_number){x = document.getElementById(menu_id);  if (on_off[menu_number]==0){	x.innerHTML=menu_code[menu_number];	on_off[menu_number]=1;  }else{	menu_id.innerHTML="";	on_off[menu_number]=0;  }}

This code doesn't work. Any suggestion?

Like this?
function collapse_menu(menu_id, menu_number){x = document.getElementById(menu_id);  if (on_off[menu_number]==0){	x.innerHTML=menu_code[menu_number];	on_off[menu_number]=1;  }else{	menu_id.innerHTML="";	on_off[menu_number]=0;  }}

This code doesn't work. Any suggestion?

When calling the function, pass the parameter as a stringcollapse_menu("menu1", 0);

When calling the function, pass the parameter as a stringcollapse_menu("menu1", 0);
Thanks! Working perfectly. I suppose I can just change the div by images and the menu code values by links etc. Thank you everybody. Edited by jin_pengyou