"there Are 14 Users, 38 Guests..."

omgRawr

How can you monitor with PHP how many users and guests are on a single page? I know that you could query information from the database to determine how many users are online, for example:

select username, current_page from users where online = 1 and page = 'news'

But, how can you monitor how many guests are online? Do I have to use the same method for guests - add a row to a table containing the guests currently logged on? Would something like this work?

create table all_users (  id int not null auto_increment,   last_activity datetime not null,   ip_address varchar(32) not null,   user_agent varchar(255) not null,   page varchar(64) not null,   referer varchar(255) null,   primary key (id)

Then if I wanted to check how many guests are viewing a page:

select count(distinct ip_address) as views from all_users where page = 'news'

And that should work, but there's another problem. How can I delete the row from the database when users leave my website? If there are only guests and there is no logout feature, then how can I delete their "session" (not really a session, just their row in the database). How can I delete their "session" if they just exit out of their browser window instead of pressing a button?Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Define a timeout length, say 15 minutes (or whatever is appropriate to your content). Every time you update the users/guests database, examine every record. (You're probably doing it anyway to generate the information.) For each record, get the absolute difference between last_activity and the current time. If that difference is greater than the timeout length, remove the record.

Define a timeout length, say 15 minutes (or whatever is appropriate to your content). Every time you update the users/guests database, examine every record. (You're probably doing it anyway to generate the information.) For each record, get the absolute difference between last_activity and the current time. If that difference is greater than the timeout length, remove the record.
Perfect! Thank you!

Archived