"open With" Within Html

chrispey

Hi there,I'm looking to link to an html file which is more than easy enough but upon clicking on it I'd like the file to be opened in Notepad (or Notepad++ preferably). Is there a way in code to bypass the default program for a filetype?Thanks!

You can specify the content-type application/octet-stream, that will force a download, but it is then up to the user as to what they open it in.

Hi there,I'm looking to link to an html file which is more than easy enough but upon clicking on it I'd like the file to be opened in Notepad (or Notepad++ preferably). Is there a way in code to bypass the default program for a filetype?Thanks!
u can set up the default program to open the file , right ?

u can set up the default program to open the file , right ?
Absolutely. The only thing is I want ".html" docs to open by default in browser. What I'm looking to do is link to a .html doc that would open in Notepad or another such program. Not sure if it's even possible

You can have a folder on your server that has the Content-Disposition header set, which would force the file to download. However, once on the client's computer they have to choose what to do with the file.EDIT: Actually, it's basically the same thing as trying Synook's suggestion.

Archived