How to do a Tool tip in select drop-down?

kabir_cj

I need to have a list of selectable options from a drop-down, with each option in the dropdown having a little text poping up when I do a mouse over. I tried this:

<select name="selbox" >                <option title="1" >option 1</option>	<option  title="2">option 2</option>	<option  title="3">option 3</option></select>

I thought I could use the title attribute in the <option> tag but that doesn't seem to work. :) Any ideas?

You can't easily. If you wanted just plain text to have a tooltip, you can do <a title="">text</a>, which I found out by trying to solve you problem! But it seems the <select> tag will completely ignore any effort to add tooltips to the options. Which means that if you desperately need tooltips, you have to make your own in javascript.

You can't easily. If you wanted just plain text to have a tooltip, you can do <a title="">text</a>, which I found out by trying to solve you problem! But it seems the <select> tag will completely ignore any effort to add tooltips to the options. Which means that if you desperately need tooltips, you have to make your own in javascript.

Thanks actionsketch. This is what I am thinking about: write a js function which I call when the mouse is over one of the options in the list and not when I select an optionDo you have a different idea with js?