Tutorial

kate4

As instructed in the tutorial, I have copied the three files to make the test website. I have opened a notepad document and typed in some html stuff. But how do I get the stuff I have typed onto the test website? The test website does not respond to any editing that I have tried to do. Obviously I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is. Can anyone help on this?Thanks,Kate

As instructed in the tutorial, I have copied the three files to make the test website. I have opened a notepad document and typed in some html stuff. But how do I get the stuff I have typed onto the test website? The test website does not respond to any editing that I have tried to do. Obviously I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is. Can anyone help on this?Thanks,Kate
The test website is not actually a website that can be accessed via the Internet. It just opens in IE on your computer.I don't know what you have typed into the website so I don't know what you did wrong. Possibly you could post your actions.Try this.Right click on page1.htmSelect Open with NotepadType this line <h1>This is more text</h1>Save the new file.Open the mainpage and click on the link to page1.htmYou will see the new text in the H1 font, which is larger than the text font.I will take a stab at what you are trying to do by creating a new Notepad file. I assume that you have copied what is in page1.htm and then altered/added the text to create a new page. Save this new page with the .htm (dot htm) extension.Then go to mainpage.htm and add a link to the new page using the same code that is already there, but with the new page name. Save this new mainpage.htmNow you should be able to link to the new page from the mainpage.htm

The test website is not actually a website that can be accessed via the Internet. It just opens in IE on your computer.I don't know what you have typed into the website so I don't know what you did wrong. Possibly you could post your actions.Try this.Right click on page1.htmSelect Open with NotepadType this line <h1>This is more text</h1>Save the new file.Open the mainpage and click on the link to page1.htmYou will see the new text in the H1 font, which is larger than the text font.I will take a stab at what you are trying to do by creating a new Notepad file. I assume that you have copied what is in page1.htm and then altered/added the text to create a new page. Save this new page with the .htm (dot htm) extension.Then go to mainpage.htm and add a link to the new page using the same code that is already there, but with the new page name. Save this new mainpage.htmNow you should be able to link to the new page from the mainpage.htm
Dear Bill,I am certain I am typing this in the wrong box, but since I can find no other box, I am typing here.Thank you for your reply. First of all, I do not know what EI means, but I didn't think it was a real website. However, it is unmanipulatable. I can click left or right all I like. Nothing happens that allows me to change anything on the test website. I followed your instructions and right-clicked but there is no option of opening anything. I haven't typed anything into this page - I could not affect this page in any way, using any action I could think of. So maybe I've down/uploaded it wrong? I am having no difficulty getting the gist of html - it's how do I put it onto either a fake or real website?Frustratedly yours,Kate

Where exactly are you right clicking and what options are available if you do?Normally, to execute a file you've downloaded, you double (left) click on it, and it opens in Internet Explorer (IE for short... not EI). DO NOT do this.Instead, right click on the file that you downloaded, and select "Open With > Notepad" (if available) or "Open With..." and then select "Notepad". That is HTML. That is the thing you may edit. Edit it as you like and, and when finished, click "File > Save" in Notepad. Close Notepad, and NOW execute the file by double clicking it. You'll see the HTML along with the changes you made to it.

Where exactly are you right clicking and what options are available if you do?Normally, to execute a file you've downloaded, you double (left) click on it, and it opens in Internet Explorer (IE for short... not EI). DO NOT do this.Instead, right click on the file that you downloaded, and select "Open With > Notepad" (if available) or "Open With..." and then select "Notepad". That is HTML. That is the thing you may edit. Edit it as you like and, and when finished, click "File > Save" in Notepad. Close Notepad, and NOW execute the file by double clicking it. You'll see the HTML along with the changes you made to it.
Thank you! I had to open the folder the files were in and then from the top menu open into notepad using the little down arrow beside the normal Open button. I will continue with my html explorations, but I will be back to you clever people when I hit my next snag!Bill and Robot - really appreciate you taking the time to help out a newbie!Kate

Archived