What Do You Use Photoshop For In Web Design?

JacksonAK92

I'm trying to learn web design, and a friend of mine told me that learning photoshop would be a good first step to learning web design in general. I got the program and I've done some tutorials and learned a little bit through experimenating and things, but what I've learned doesnt seem like it would be terribly useful for web design, so I'm wondering what aspects of web design is photoshop used for?I assume you would make headers and borders using it? but what others things are made with photoshop? Thank you!

1. Any kind of sophisticated artwork. Illustrator has its uses also, but a lot of us get by with just PS.2. Some people mock up an entire page using Photoshop, including images for buttons and pulldowns and such. Keep all unique page elements in separate layers. Now you can position them exactly where you want. Use your crosshairs to get pixel measurements that will eventually turn into widths, heights, margins and padding in your stylesheet. When you're done, anything that MUST be an image gets saved as an image, hopefully at a low-to-medium resolution. Background gradients can be turned into VERY small files. Empty spaces get translated into margins and borders as I mentioned above. Buttons and controls just get translated into the HTML that produces them. Depending on how particular you are about fonts, text items can become parts of images (which can create problems) or simply turned into text in your document.It's perhaps a complicated process to learn, but when you have it, it gives good results.But Photoshop is not where you learn HTML. Do that first. There is no sense in creating a complicated effect in PS and then discovering that it cannot be duplicated in HTML. To create a good mock-up, you need to be thinking ahead to the kind of HTML that will generate the desired result.

Edited by Deirdre's Dad

I agree with Dierdre's Dad. It isn't an essential skill, but if you learn it, your websites will look much more better. As said before it isn't where you learn HTML. Photoshop can make buttons, backgrounds. logos, anything you want (at a high cost though). Some people make website templates via photoshop, because you can slice up your work, and it automatically generates an HTML page (with tables). A good free alternative to photoshop is GIMP.