Portfolio Site

Ingolme

http://dtfox.totalh.comI've been several months at it, though mostly because I've only been working on it from time to time. The portfolio is both for my web development and artistic skills.The website combines accessibility, usablility and a dynamic interface. Though it wouldn't be noticed immediately, the site changes from day to night and by the phase of the moon (thanks to a nice algorithm by the famous mathematician, John Horton Conway).The visitors can choose to have scripts activated or not. Most people don't know how to deactivate scripts manually in their browser and I know that the fancy effects might just get in the way for some visitors.Behind the curtains, the site is running on a template system that I created.In order to minimize the amount of HTTP requests, I have a PHP file that puts together all the separate script files I've used for the site, it should make the page load faster.

Love the design. Really fancy :).I have to say though, consider implementing streaming in your templating engine. Right now, the delay between a click and the page actually appearing is next to unacceptable. If you stream your page (your HTML that is), it will appear to load MUCH faster (though in reality, it would load it slightly slower).Also, if the page is working fine without JavaScript, why not include the JavaScript at the very bottom of the page, right before </body>?You seem to have a JavaScript error on line 1457, column 5 from the generated JS. I don't know what that is. I'm just reporting what I see in IE8.@thescientistIn any other type of forums (i.e. not for geeks, nerds and the like), I'd answer "yes" to your question, as in "yes, it is wrong". In forums like this... errr... maybe not so much :) .

I have to say though, consider implementing streaming in your templating engine. Right now, the delay between a click and the page actually appearing is next to unacceptable. If you stream your page (your HTML that is), it will appear to load MUCH faster (though in reality, it would load it slightly slower).
Hmm, implementing streaming would mean large changes in how my engine is written at the moment, but I might change it in the future.
Also, if the page is working fine without JavaScript, why not include the JavaScript at the very bottom of the page, right before </body>?You seem to have a JavaScript error on line 1457, column 5 from the generated JS. I don't know what that is. I'm just reporting what I see in IE8.
The Javascript is running with the DOMContentLoaded event, so it doesn't need to be placed at the end of the body. It's running as soon as the HTML has loaded so it's as efficient as I can get it.I'm going to check the IE8 error, though.
whats giving your photo gallery that cool bubbly effect?
I'm using Javascript to compare the distance of the mouse from each thumb and then changing their size based on it.

Hmm, implementing streaming would mean large changes in how my engine is written at the moment, but I might change it in the future.
Yep. Been there.
The Javascript is running with the DOMContentLoaded event, so it doesn't need to be placed at the end of the body. It's running as soon as the HTML has loaded so it's as efficient as I can get it.
When the browser encounters a script element, it blocks the page from displaying until the script is downloaded. Sure, downloads will be in progress still (at least in newer browsers - IE8 in particular), but the display will be further delayed. At least add a defer attribute if not anything else. That would make diference in IE and FF 3.5. Perhaps it wouldn't be easy to notice without streaming, but it would still make some difference.

http://dtfox.totalh.comIn order to minimize the amount of HTTP requests, I have a PHP file that puts together all the separate script files I've used for the site, it should make the page load faster.
I'm starting to get into scripting right now, so I was wondering if you could elaborate a little more on this? Is it any different than using a single external .js file? And is the PHP some sort of like catch all include() or something like that?

I'm starting to get into scripting right now, so I was wondering if you could elaborate a little more on this? Is it any different than using a single external .js file? And is the PHP some sort of like catch all include() or something like that?
I have one include statement for each Javascript file I made.Browsers have a limit as to how many files can be downloaded from the same domain simultaneously, so downloading one large Javascript file is faster than downloading three or four smaller ones. The same goes for CSS files.

I'd assume that the attrubutes "tooltip","loaded", and "ratio" are all part of your custom template system?
No, the template system is a PHP class that takes HTML templates and puts variables into them, like database information. The tooltip, loaded, and ratio attributes are added to the elements with Javascript."tooltip" is an attribute added by my Javascript custom tooltip function to all elements that have a "title" attribute."loaded" and "ratio" are values from the gallery script that help resizing the thumbs when the mouse gets closer to them.I've already updated the template class to make it streaming so that the page loads faster, though I don't notice the difference very much.

Too many images, takes too long to load.The top doesn't look that greatNo character encoding specified in the <head> section.Also are you a furry?

Too many images, takes too long to load.The top doesn't look that greatNo character encoding specified in the <head> section.Also are you a furry?
I have no shame in admitting that I am not a really good designer, I have always been more of the programmer type.The character encoding, UTF-8, is specified in a header sent by PHP, which is more reliable than a <meta> tag.I am an Anthro Artist, but if you prefer the term "furry" that is your choice.

I have no shame in admitting that I am not a really good designer, I have always been more of the programmer type.The character encoding, UTF-8, is specified in a header sent by PHP, which is more reliable than a <meta> tag.I am an Anthro Artist, but if you prefer the term "furry" that is your choice.
Couldn't you use both meta and send headers?Also is it just me or do you flip through 2 designs?

Also is it just me or do you flip through 2 designs?
http://dtfox.totalh.comThough it wouldn't be noticed immediately, the site changes from day to night and by the phase of the moon (thanks to a nice algorithm by the famous mathematician, John Horton Conway).

Archived