Calculation problem

cloudbust

Greetings,Please have patience with this newbie.I am trying to learn PHP and have run into a seemingly bizarre problem.I am trying to execute a simple tax calculation and am getting inconsistent results.The server is running PHP 4.4.1 with Zend Engine v1.3.0 on a Linux (2.4.27?) server with Apache 1.3.33.You can access my test page here: Bob's Bits. If subtotal is less than $1000.00, the 10% tax is correctly calculated. Any subtotal above that does not calculate correctly. Try with 9 tires then with 10 tires as values. I have tried many ways of restructuring the statements to no avail. I have tried using 10 for $taxrate then dividing by 100 in the tax calculation. I have tried removing the decimal completely, but the calculation still performs the same way (Subtotal $900 gets $9000.00 tax, subtotal $1000 gets $10.00 tax). I have tried removing the number_format function. The portion of code that seems affected is:

$taxrate=.10;echo 'Subtotal: $'.number_format($subtotal,2).'<br>';echo 'Tax Rate: '.($taxrate*100).'%<br>';echo 'Tax: $'.number_format($subtotal*$taxrate,2).'<br>';echo 'Total: $'.number_format($subtotal*(1+$taxrate),2).'<br>';

The subtotal always calculates correctly.I did create a separate php page with a hard coded subtotal amount in the calculation that works properly. that can be seen here:Calc Test.The code for that is:

$subtotal=1100;$taxrate=.10;echo 'Subtotal: $'.number_format($subtotal,2).'<br>';echo 'Tax Rate: '.($taxrate*100).'%<br>';echo 'Tax: $'.number_format($subtotal*$taxrate,2).'<br>';echo 'Total: $'.number_format($subtotal*(1+$taxrate),2).'<br>';

I appreciate any assistance with this.Just in case it is being caused by something outside that code block and you are actually still reading this, here is the full code:

<html>	<head>	</head>		<title>			Bob's Bits - Order Results		</title>	<body>		<h1>			Bob's Bits		</h1>		<h2>			Order Results		</h2>		<?php			// Create and load short variable names			$tireqty = $_POST['tireqty'];			$oilqty = $_POST['oilqty'];			$sparkqty = $_POST['sparkqty'];						// Calculate total items ordered - this will also be used to validate entry			$totalqty = 0;			$totalqty = $tireqty + $oilqty + $sparkqty;						// Create and assign constants for pricing			DEFINE ('tireprice', 100.00);			DEFINE ('oilprice', 2.00);			DEFINE ('sparkprice', 1.00);						// Temporarily displays status of variable fields using isset			/*			echo 'isset($tireqty): '.isset($tireqty).'<br />';			echo 'isset($oilqty): '.isset($oilqty).'<br />';			echo 'isset($sparkqty): '.isset($sparkqty).'<br />';			echo 'empty($tireqty): '.empty($tireqty).'<br />';			echo 'empty($oilqty): '.empty($oilqty).'<br />';			echo 'empty($sparkqty): '.empty($sparkqty).'<br />';			echo 'Variable totalqty= '.$totalqty.'<br />';			*/			// Display results			if( $totalqty == 0 ) // No items were ordered so display an error message			{				echo '<font color=red />';				echo 'You did not order anything on the previous page! <br />';				echo '</font>';			}			else // At least one item was ordered so display order details			{				echo '<p>Order Processed at '.date('H:i').' on '.date(' F jS Y').'</p>';				if ($tireqty > 0)				{				/*					Incorporate a volume discount algorithm for tires such that:						1 - 10 tires = 0% discount						10 - 49 tires = 5% discount						50 - 99 tires = 10% discount						100 or more tires = 15% discount				*/					if ($tireqty < 10)						$discount = 0;					elseif ($tireqty > 9 && $tireqty < 50)						$discount = 0; // should be 5					elseif ($tireqty > 49 && $tireqty < 100)						$discount = 10;					elseif ($tireqty > 99)						$discount = 15;					echo 'Tires: '.$tireqty.'@ $'.number_format(tireprice,2).' each: $'.number_format($tiretotal=($tireqty*(tireprice -(tireprice*$discount/100))),2).'<br>';				}				if ($oilqty > 0)					echo 'Oil: '.$oilqty.'@ $'.number_format(oilprice,2).' each: $'.number_format($oiltotal=($oilqty*oilprice),2).'<br>';				if ($sparkqty > 0)					echo 'Spark Plugs : '.$sparkqty.'@ $'.number_format(sparkprice,2).' each: $'.number_format($sparktotal=($sparkqty*sparkprice),2).'<br>';				echo 'Subtotal: $'.$subtotal=number_format(($tiretotal+$oiltotal+$sparktotal),2).'<br>';				$taxrate=.10;				echo 'Tax: $'.number_format($subtotal*$taxrate,2).'<br>';				echo 'Total: $'.number_format($subtotal*(1+$taxrate),2).'<br>';				echo 'Total items: '.($tireqty + $oilqty + $sparkqty);			}		?>		<p>Page 47</p>	</body></html>

like gsmith said

echo 'Subtotal: $'.$subtotal=number_format(($tiretotal+$oiltotal+$sparktotal),2).'<br>';

Is your problem.It is assigning the subtotal as a formatted string to $subtotal.Until you get 10 tires the subtotal doesn't go over 999 so there is no comma until then.Try the following code to get a better idea what is going on....

echo ("1,000.00" * 1);

What does it print????? not "1000" as you might hope...If you want to stay with the one-liner (for the sake of keeping yourself and everyone else confused about what is going on!) try this

echo 'Subtotal: $'.number_format($subtotal=($tiretotal+$oiltotal+$sparktotal),2).'<br>';

The above is setting $subtotal to the actual sum - not the formatted string! So even if you do the assignment in a separate line, make sure you are assigning the sum of the numbers to $substring - don't use nubmer_format() until the echo!

like gsmith said
echo 'Subtotal: $'.$subtotal=number_format(($tiretotal+$oiltotal+$sparktotal),2).'<br>';

Is your problem.It is assigning the subtotal as a formatted string to $subtotal.Until you get 10 tires the subtotal doesn't go over 999 so there is no comma until then.Try the following code to get a better idea what is going on....

echo ("1,000.00" * 1);

What does it print????? not "1000" as you might hope...If you want to stay with the one-liner (for the sake of keeping yourself and everyone else confused about what is going on!) try this

echo 'Subtotal: $'.number_format($subtotal=($tiretotal+$oiltotal+$sparktotal),2).'<br>';

The above is setting $subtotal to the actual sum - not the formatted string! So even if you do the assignment in a separate line, make sure you are assigning the sum of the numbers to $substring - don't use nubmer_format() until the echo!

While the reply by gsmith gave me an immediate remedy, yours helped me realize why it was happening so I thank you also. I had not realized that the function was returning a string vs. a float. DOH!! - READ THE DOCS - I GET THAT NOW!!! That is what happens when one is too broke to pay attention.Thanks again!