Widgets...

thescientist

So I have a job interview for a cool job in the state I'm moving too. The guy likes my designing code (HTML/CSS) but wants to see how my Javascript is. (I have a CIS degree so I'm familiar with OOP). Now I'm reading up on jAVASCRIPT books, reading the W3S tuts, and he gave me some links to check out of some online tutorials and whatnot, but in the conversation he mentioned the creation of widgets. I've heard of them, and I get them in theory, but I was wondering what people thought of them in terms of going about how to learn to create good ones and what their practical applications are. I have the feeling that the javascript prep means that that's the kind of language we'll be using to make them and I just want to make sure I go into my interview informed and in a good position to do basic coding with him. So if there are any good examples, articles, resources that I can look at between now and then to get myself prepared, I would much appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Edited by thescientist

I'm not sure why people use the term widgets. When I was in school, when you wanted to describe a generic product, you called it a "widget", an arbitrary product without any specific characteristics. A widget doesn't have a formal definition, and pretty much every application that uses the term widget uses it to describe something specific, like a module or plugin, different from the other applications that use the term. So, in order to know how to write a "widget" for whatever architecture he's working with, first you need to know what the architecture is. It's sort of like asking someone to just make a plugin. If you don't know what system you're making the plugin for, you can't really make it.

from what I gathered in the phone conversation, they are a consulting firm that creates (digital tv?) applications and this contract is for Cable Vision (a cable service provider) and it has something to do with their digital set-top boxes. Perhaps its some sort of interfacing project? All I know is scripting was the primary topic of interest regarding the position I'm interviewing for.he also linked me this, so I'm guessing Javascript is a big part of this job.

Edited by thescientist