Using .ttf Files

skaterdav85

How do you utilize a .ttf file? I downloaded a new font and i want to use it, so Im wondering if this is something I need to do through CSS. I know i can use the file to change text through the php GD library, but that is one long function to change font and isn't very efficient for a paragraph of text. Anyone know how to go about doing this?

The font support in CSS is very limited, there is @font-face, but it is very badly supported. The only other ways are through images, either static or dynamic (i.e. with PHP), or through Flash (e.g. sIFR).

The font support in CSS is very limited, there is @font-face, but it is very badly supported. The only other ways are through images, either static or dynamic (i.e. with PHP), or through Flash (e.g. sIFR).
what do you mean by @font-face? and how is it badly supported?

what do you mean by @font-face? and how is it badly supported?
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-fonts/#the-font-face-ruleAnd it's badly supported as in not many browsers (i.e. almost none at all) actually implement it.

You just have to accept that people only have certain fonts installed on their computers. Usually the reason you want a fancy font is for a title or header. You can use images with alternate text, or better: <h1> or <h2> tags with a background image and some text that's pushed out of view with the CSS text-indent property.

Archived