Error That Is Somewhere But I Cant Seem To Find It

sweinkauf13

Hello,I'm writting a basic script to get some information out of a database table. The script name is inbox.php. Here is the error im getting: (directory modified for security): "Parse error: parse error in inbox.php on line 57". But i was looking and i cant find the error. Please help.

<?session_start();?><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html><head><title>Entertainment Zone!!!</title><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css"></head><body><p><h1>EZ Messenger System</h1></p><p><h2><? echo("$_SESSION[username]"); ?>'s Inbox:</h2></p><center><p><?$con = @mysql_connect('server','username','password') or die(mysql_error());#$db = @mysql_select_db('entertainmentzone', $con) or die(mysql_error());#$username = "$_SESSION[username]";$sql = "select * from messages where to = '$username'";#$result = mysql_query("$sql", $con);#$num = mysql_num_rows($result);#if($num == "0"){echo("Inbox Empty");}else if($num > "0"){$inbox = "<table cellspacing=5 cellpadding=5 rules=all><tr><th>From</th><th>Subject</th><th>Date</th></tr>";#	while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))	{$from = $row['from'];$subject = $row['subject'];$date = $row['date'];$status = $row['status'];#		if($status == "unread")		{$setting = "background-color=\"#151B54\"";		}else if($status == "read")		{$setting = "background-color=\"#2B3856\";		}		else		{$setting = "";		}#$inbox .="<tr $setting><td>$from</td><td>$subject</td><td>$date</td></tr>";	}$inbox .= "</table></p>";echo("$inbox");}?></body></html>

-youngwebmaster

Dang it. Umm one last problem I ran into if you dont mind. I get a new error now "mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in inbox.php on line 27";. How do I fix that? I've never seen it before.

$result = mysql_query($sql, $con) or exit(mysql_error());Also, why do people write this:mysql_query("$sql", $con)when you could just do this:mysql_query($sql, $con)Why do you think you need to put quotes around $sql, but not around $con? Same with this:$username = "$_SESSION[username]";why not this:$username = $_SESSION['username'];Also, for things like this:else if($num > "0")You're comparing with a number, not a string. Leave out the quotes. You don't need to put quotes around everything.

Edited by justsomeguy