Difference Between Domain Pointing And Domain Transfers?

omgRawr

I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between domain pointing and domain transfers. I think that domain pointing is when you use GoDaddy (or another domain registrar) to set your domain's name servers to a specific host. Like if I'm in GoDaddy's domain control panel, I can point the nameservers to dns1.freehostia.com and dns2.freehostia.com, and then add the domain on Freehostia's control panel and wait a few days, then it'll work. I'm not sure about domain transfers either, but I heard that when you do it, you change registrars. Since my current registrar is GoDaddy, if I transfer the domain name then it could get transfered to another registrar like Yahoo Domains. Was what I mentioned above correct? Please correct any mistakes I made, I'm new to this. Also if I lock a domain, is it guaranteed that my domain will stay with GoDaddy? Is that what domain locking is supposed to do? Thanks.

You are correct. And I would recommend continuing to use a seperate providers for domain registration and web hosting. Most importantly, avoid third party registrars (ones typically offered by hosting companies).

Archived