Wordpress Plugin Not Working Properly.

idk11

Here goes the noob question, folks. So I have installed this Wordpress plugin for my site, thespartana.net, called flShow (it's the Flash image rotator in the middle of the page). However, I want to display pop-up titles when your mouse hovers over each image. I have followed the instructions here and I still cannot get it to work. In fact, I have tried other ways of altering the plugin (linked pictures, etc.) and they still do not work. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

option (1) use javascript;<script type="text/javascript"> swfobject.embedSWF("/wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/flShowCarousel.swf", "carousel1", "906", "190", "9.0.0", false, {xmlfile:"youxmllocation/titles1.xml", loaderColor:"0x666666"}, {bgcolor: "#FFFFFF"});</script>you have the link to the javascript file to run on your page here:<script src="http://thespartana.net/wp-content/plugins/flash-image-carousel/Scripts/swfobject_modified.js" type="text/javascript"></script>option(2) object:<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="fm_flShowCarousel_499242191" class="flashmovie" width="906" height="190"> <param name="movie" value="/wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/flShowCarousel.swf" /> <param name="wmode" value="transparent" /> <param name="flashvars" value="xmlfile=default.xml&loaderColor=#0000FF" /> <!--[if !IE]>--> <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="/wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/flShowCarousel.swf" id="fm_flShowCarousel_1401439464" width="906" height="190"> <param name="wmode" value="transparent" /> <param name="flashvars" value="xmlfile=default.xml&loaderColor=#0000FF" /> <!--<![endif]--> <!--[if !IE]>--> </object> <!--<![endif]--></object>if you followed instructions correctly you should have first set the options for title display:<options><background>#FFFFFF</background><titles><style>font-size: 14px; font-family: Verdana, _serif; color: #003366;</style></titles></options>Then for each photo you wish to control the format of title text use: <photo><title>A <b>fish</b>, isn't it?</title><src>../images/babelfish.png</src> </photo>For plain text use:<photo title="This is a CD">../images/cdwriter_unmount.png</photo>

only if you have a xml file called default.xml in the same location as the page using this object coding.<param name="flashvars" value="xmlfile=default.xml&loaderColor=#0000FF" />if it is in the same location as the swf file, then it would be something like this<param name="flashvars" value="xmlfile=/wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/default.xml&loaderColor=#0000FF" />

Still no titles, my man.This is what I'm inserting into index.php:<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="fm_flShowCarousel_499242191" class="flashmovie" width="906" height="190"><param name="movie" value="/wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/flShowCarousel.swf" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="flashvars" value="xmlfile=/wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/default.xml&loaderColor=#0000FF" /> <!--[if !IE]>--><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash"data="/wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/flShowCarousel.swf"name="fm_flShowCarousel_499242191"width="906"height="190"><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="flashvars" value="xmlfile=/wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/default.xml&loaderColor=#0000FF" /> <!--<![endif]--><!--[if !IE]>--></object><!--<![endif]--></object>And this is what I'm inserting into default.xml:<slide_show><options><background>#ffffff</background><titles><style>font-size: 14px; font-family: Verdana, _serif; color: #003366;</style></titles></options> <photo title="check one two">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/1.JPG</photo> <photo>/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/2.JPG</photo> <photo>/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/3.JPG</photo> <photo>/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/4.JPG</photo> <photo>/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/5.JPG</photo> <photo>/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/6.JPG</photo> <photo>/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/7.JPG</photo></slide_show>

Haha. Still nothing. And I just realized you helped me with my page a day ago (thespartana.net). This is the username I actually registered with; "turtle" was just one I found on BugMeNot while my registration was being validated.

I gathered you were turtle, (was thinking who the ######, has this post been hacked at first).OK! looked into this further, and your original css coding was correct, i was looking at wrong xml version.but i did spot something that was puzzling<background>#FFFFFF</background><!-- #RRGGBB, transparent --> ??????????????????i noticed you set the object code for the swf file to wmode with value transparent, now normally this would be fine, but why would they have a transparent setting (this is not a valid colour, heightest alpha hex value is F)? unless they prefer you not to use transparent wmode.so your mission, if you accept it! is to remove all param's relating to wmode from the object code, change background color to #RRGGBB, and basically see what happens now. Good Luck!

yep, thats it, just try it and see if it makes a difference. As i said if you wanted have a transparent background in a flash file, then adding <param name="wmode" value="transparent" /> would do this.but!, the xml lists a code #RRGGBB for making the background transparent, and just wondering if this be what is causing the problem, as the flash file can see the images listed, but can't show the titles listed?so remove this: <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />

Let's get back to the very basics.Try this and see what happens:

<object width="906" height="190" data="/wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/flShowCarousel.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">  <param name="movie" value="/wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/flShowCarousel.swf" />  <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />  <param name="flashvars" value="xmlfile=default.xml&loaderColor=0x0000FF" /></object>

And put this into default.xml:

<slide_show>  <photo title="check one two">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/1.JPG</photo></slide_show>

Make sure that default.xml is in the same folder as the Flash document.

right i have downloaded this carousel flash file, produced the same directories, and got it working.you should have directorywp-content\plugins\flshow\resourcesin this directory you should have the swf file, and most importantly the default.xml file.html object file<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="fm_flShowCarousel_1401439464" class="flashmovie" width="908" height="190"> <param name="movie" value="wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/flShowCarousel.swf" /> <param name="wmode" value="transparent" /> <param name="flashvars" value="xmlfile=wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/default.xml&loaderColor=#0000FF" /> <!--[if !IE]>--> <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/flShowCarousel.swf" name="fm_flShowCarousel_1401439464" width="908" height="190"> <param name="wmode" value="transparent" /> <param name="flashvars" value="xmlfile=wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/default.xml&loaderColor=#0000FF" /> <!--<![endif]--> <!--[if !IE]>--> </object> <!--<![endif]--></object>default.xml file<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><!-- flShow Carousel 2.0 configuration file Please visit http://www.flshow.net/ for more info--><slide_show><options><background>transparent</background> <!-- #RRGGBB, transparent --><titles><style> font-size: 14px; font-family: Verdana, _serif; color: #003366; </style></titles></options><photo title="aaa">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/1.JPG</photo><photo title="bbb">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/2.JPG</photo><photo title="ccc">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/3.JPG</photo><photo title="ddd">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/4.JPG</photo><photo title="eee">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/5.JPG</photo><photo title="fff">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/6.JPG</photo><photo title="ggg">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/7.JPG</photo></slide_show>Anyway good luck with this, hopefully this will finally work.

you have moved the original page so the pathway to the default.xml file is wrong!now it should be:<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="fm_flShowCarousel_1401439464" class="flashmovie" width="908" height="190"> <param name="movie" value="../wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/flShowCarousel.swf" /> <param name="wmode" value="transparent" /> <param name="flashvars" value="xmlfile=../wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/default.xml&loaderColor=#0000FF" /> <!--[if !IE]>--> <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="../wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/flShowCarousel.swf" name="fm_flShowCarousel_1401439464" width="908" height="190"> <param name="wmode" value="transparent" /> <param name="flashvars" value="xmlfile=../wp-content/plugins/flshow/resources/default.xml&loaderColor=#0000FF" /> <!--<![endif]--> <!--[if !IE]>--> </object> <!--<![endif]--></object><?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><!-- flShow Carousel 2.0 configuration file Please visit http://www.flshow.net/ for more info--><slide_show><options><background>transparent</background> <!-- #RRGGBB, transparent --><titles><style> font-size: 14px; font-family: Verdana, _serif; color: #003366; </style></titles></options><photo title="aaa">../wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/1.JPG</photo><photo title="bbb">../wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/2.JPG</photo><photo title="ccc">../wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/3.JPG</photo><photo title="ddd">../wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/4.JPG</photo><photo title="eee">../wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/5.JPG</photo><photo title="fff">../wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/6.JPG</photo><photo title="ggg">../wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/7.JPG</photo></slide_show>

Remove everything that is not necessary from default.xml to see what happens.Just put this:

<slide_show><photo title="aaa">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/1.JPG</photo><photo title="bbb">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/2.JPG</photo><photo title="ccc">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/3.JPG</photo><photo title="ddd">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/4.JPG</photo><photo title="eee">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/5.JPG</photo><photo title="fff">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/6.JPG</photo><photo title="ggg">/wp-content/plugins/flshow/images/7.JPG</photo></slide_show>

Don't bother with the options until the titles work. The options may be causing the titles to not be displayed.

If it won't work with the simplest approach, it means that the Flash file isn't reading the XML file correctly and it's not something you can fix. Copy and paste their XML file exactly how they have it (except with the URLs of your images). If that fails, there's nothing you can do to solve the problem.

I have a few questions here that may solve this (yeah heard that before, i know)The link you provided (post #1), was a link to the non-plugin vesion and the amendments we have been attempting are for a non plugin version (transparent, is the one i used), which can be used for a wordpress site, but is handled in a completely different way to the plug-in version. Assuming this is the plug-in version for a WordPress site? (did you install this plugin), this means this version uses a carousel plugin management system, under plugins -> manage ->flShow, can you find this?WordPress Plugin version Managementhere you can insert, all the titles etc for each image, and format the carousel to how you like it.you insert a ref to the plugin using <div style="height:200px"><?php flshow( $id ); ?></div> (see above link)This plugin uses WordPress’s built-in jQuery library, to run this version of Carousel.

Okay. I have the flShow Manager installed, but when I get to the point of previewing my carousel made through the manager, it shows nothing. Do I have to delete default.xml or change the object code? In other words, how do I implement what the Manager helps me with?And my URL for now thespartana.net/index/. If you go to thespartana.net, you will just get an Under Construction page.

Archived