Background Sizing Firefox/explorer

Nichter98

Hi, first time poster, glad to be here. I am designing a Twitter background for work. I used 1024x768. It looked perfect on my computer and firefox. However, when i checked on another computer with a smaller monitor and running explorer, the background was way off. You could only see a very small part of it. Guess my question is there a way for that background to resize automatically in explorer? Why does it look right in firefox? Thanks in advance. Here is the linkwww.twitter.com/uclublouisville

If you looked at it with IE on your computer, I think it would look the same as in FF. I think the key here is browser window size, not which browser you are using. Since the image is a fixed width, developed to the resolution of your monitors window, you will see things correctly, but in a smaller window, part of the picture will get clipped. A way to overcome this would be to set the image as the background-image of a div. A div will automatically take up the entire width of its available area, and thus will scale based on window size A smaller window will create a smaller div, and the image behind it will scale accordingly. Same thing goes for a larger window though, say greater than 1024px so create your images accordingly, to be as large as you think anyone would ever see it. Or assign a max-width to your div of 1024px to keep the image from getting to big. Hope that makes since, I might have gotten the terminology wrong with screen size, resolution, browser window, etc, but I'm sure someone will come along and clarify some more as well if I didn't make any sense, haha.

You can't resize a background, if you want to do something like it you have to make it a regular image that you can change the size of, and use z-index to float it behind all of the other content.
or I could be completely wrong, :)

Archived