Help With Data Bace.

migroo

Hi,Okay I am trying to build a page to display a list of peoples names dates of birth and death. Now this would be easy but I need it to be easy to update every week so I have created another page that works sorta like an admin page. It has several text fields that are supposed to update my other page. The problem is I am not sure of the syntax for updating a data base with the new info and I can't find out how to tell my other page to display the page.I hope some one out there can help me I have bean pulling my hair out all week working on this.Thanks

How do you want to store the data? There are many ways to store data, not just databases (and "base" is spelled with "s" btw).If with a database, how do you want your tables to look like? Any other tables that we should comply with (though I'm guessing "No")? What database engine do you use? What PHP extensions do you have turned on? Have you read W3Schools' SQL Tutorial, as well as the PHP MySQL part of the PHP tutorial (assuming you have MySQL available)?If not with a database (it's doable...)... with a text file? An XML file? If a text file, how should it be formatted? If XML file, what should be the element names, and what should each element/attribute contain?....In order to save and retrieve any data, the computer needs to know its structure. Since you're the "developer" of this application, you're the one who must decide on what the structur of the data is.

Edited by boen_robot

Wow, okay, I didn't know there where so many options. Well as you have guess by now I am new to programing and so I am just using notepad++. I host with Hostgator.com and they have a data base engine I tryed to use it and I am fairly sure I got a data base set up but I am not sure how to view what I have on it. All I am trying to do is make it easy to up date the page and I thought this would work fairly well but if there is a simpler way to go I will take it. I am not sure what a PHP extension is or how to use one lol I did read the tutorials but I am still not sure what I am doing. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

Log in to your cPanel account and scroll down to the database area. You may be able to use the "MySQL Databases" or "MySQL Database Wizard" to create a new database, and you can use the phpMyAdmin link to launch phpMyAdmin. You can use phpMyAdmin to browse through your database, set up tables, look at the data, run queries, etc.