Forms And Tabled Css

beakofthoth

I am trying to have form elements display as table elements, so that semantics is not violated by the use of tables. I have a generic login form that looks like this:<form><div><label for="uname">User Name</legend><input id="uname" type="text"></div><div><label for="pass">Password</label><input id="pass" type="password"></div></form>My CSS looks like this:form {display: table;}form div {display: table-row;}legend {display: table-cell;}input {display: table-cell;}What am I doing wrong?

IE throws a fit when you try to use display modes of any table variety. If it's neatness you're after, use float, width, margins, and padding on your divs. Especially float and width. That's how you'll get them to line up like cells. Use clear when you want to start a new "row."

IE throws a fit when you try to use display modes of any table variety. If it's neatness you're after, use float, width, margins, and padding on your divs. Especially float and width. That's how you'll get them to line up like cells. Use clear when you want to start a new "row."
I'm using Firefox as my main test browser, and it doesn't work there either. I *expect* new techniques not to work in IE :)

Archived