Strange Font Size Growth

chibineku

I have just noticed that in every browser except FF, the last label in this form has a massive font size and is out of place for unknown reasons. Anyone see anything amiss with the code?

I didn't spot it in the HTML, but DOM Inspector told the story. I saw more label elements than I should have. Here's why:

<label for="password">  Password:				   <label>

The second <label> tag should be a closer. Since it's an opener, and since your label's font size is defined relatively (1.25em), the font size gets magnified a second time. Hence the larger type. FF is forgiving you, appropriately I think, since it makes no sense for a label to contain a label. It's interpolating a closing tag somewhere before the next opening tag. The others are rendering strictly, but stupidly.But of course you want to fix that.

Edited by Deirdre's Dad

I notice that in all browsers except firefox, the text fields are being pushed outside of the fieldset box. My screen resolution is 1024x768. You probably are designing this for larger screens.And rather than <pre> tags, you should use CSS on the fieldset:

fieldset { white-space: pre; }

You should check the page in Opera as well, it's rendering differently than the other browsers, and it seems to think Javascript is disabled when it isn't. (I'm getting the following message:)

* JavaScript / ActiveX content on this page has been disabled by your browser. Some features will not be available to you. JavaScript poses no threat to your safety and no information will be stored by it on your computer. Please enable it for a fuller experience. If you choose not to enable JavaScript, there is alternative navigation at the bottom of the page. *

Thanks guys...the duplicate opening label tag was prevalent because I had copied parts of the same form layout to three other pages, so that was a nice easy fix to get out of the way.Ingolme: the form fields should display corrently now, and I will look into the weird Opera thing. I can't see why the noscript text should show even with javascript turned on...I'm not doing anything wildly exotic with it. Thanks for the heads up though. Edit: I had changed the display property of the noscript element to block so I could style and position it the way I wanted, and that was overriding Opera's own preceding attempt to set the display to none. I have done away with that so the only extra styling is to change the colour of the text and it works great. Its nice getting these things ironed out...one less thing to think about come launch week.

Edited by chibineku