General Web Dev Relevancy Talk

lanmind

Hello everybody,I've been doing web development on the side for a while now. I don't know many people at all who are web devs so I don't talk about it much at all. This has been bugging me lately and so I've been actively seeking out web devs. I mostly find them on Microsoft's online gaming service Xbox Live because I play games online often. If anybody here also enjoys XBL let me know! I've been meaning to come on forums like this to ask general questions that might be common chat for others who are consistently around other devs. A web development work environment comes to mind. Here's some questions I have right now:I code everything by hand. Is this or has this become a BAD practice considering all the programs available to developers? Dreamweaver seems popular.I know there are front end and back end developers in the professional world. It isn't uncommon for somebody to do the front end and back end is it? I take some pride in that I write all my browser side material and code all my server side scripts. Thank you for your time.

I am an amateur at the moment, just working on my first site. It's a pretty good learning experience. I'm doing everything - HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP and MySQL, as well as taking photos and manipulating images and sorting out the ecommerce side of things. I started because I was asked by my dad to make a site and I used first ExpressionWeb and then Dreamweaver and both were, to put it plainly, rubbish. There was 10 times as much code as there needed to be and it was impossible to position things as I wanted. So I started doing the layouts by hand, then wanted to do more. I couldn't have done any of it without this forum, though - I post new topics almost daily and always get the help I need. I try to give some back, but there aren 't many topics that I have the answers to. I look forward most not to having a finished site, but to posting the link in the critique forum. I'm pretty excited about that, which should be happening in the next 2-3 weeks.

A good web developer codes everything without the assistance of a graphical editor. A graphical editor cannot make pages of the same quality as one coded by hand.But front end and back end, I guess you're referring to client-side and server-side. Web developers should to be able to do both. If the job is being done by a team the project manager can divide the work as he sees fit. There is no standard way for that.

Archived