My First Completed Web Design Project

behnazutx

This is my first post on this board. I am a recent college graduate who has just picked up Web design to build my skill set. I started out by learning the basics of HTML/XHTML and CSS and basic Web design principles. For my first project, I decided to create a Web site for a nonprofit organization I just started.I have just completed the site, and wanted to share a link for constructive critique and criticism. http://westutteraustin.orgI designed, produced and coded this site from scratch. The only elements of the site that are not original are the limited photos and graphics (all of which I obtained legally, of course), and the programming script for the contact form. I'm pretty happy with the look of the site now, expect for the h1 text that wraps around the logo image (I just got tired of messing with it, but will fix it so it is more visually appealing in the next version of the site). Also, I know I need photos of people for the site, since this is a site for a support group, but I do not have those as my disposal yet. Finally, there are some minor design elements I want to change once I figure out how to do those things with CSS. Thanks for taking a look... any feedback would be appreciated. This is my first shot at Web design; I am not a graphic designer or really artsy in any way, but my goal was to create a visually appealing site by making it easy to navigate, choosing the right color schemes, fonts, etc.

It all seems very clean, robust, everything that I've clicked does what I thought it should. The design delivers the content without distracting or detracting from it. Nice.

why couldn't you get the page to load? can you try it again? anyone else having this problem??
hah, don't worry, it's probably just the cheap wi-fi im bumming atm.anyway, I like it, clean and neat. My only suggestion is maybe adding a little something to background? the all white just makes it feel a little lacking. other than that though, nice job.

The only thing I saw was the 'watermark' over the 'Get Connected' icon. Otherwise, well-designed, intuitive nav, easy to read. Plenty of off-site links. You could probably have stuck to CSS for the menu, but not a biggie.Overall, successful design.A
Oh! I need to update that watermark with the version I downloaded after I purchased credits from dreamstime. I didn't even notice that! Thank you! On your second note, are you talking about the navigation bar? It is styled with CSS.

hah, don't worry, it's probably just the cheap wi-fi im bumming atm.anyway, I like it, clean and neat. My only suggestion is maybe adding a little something to background? the all white just makes it feel a little lacking. other than that though, nice job.
Yes, I think I need to go about either creating a graphic for the background, or at least changing the color. We'll see what I come up with for the next version.

Archived