Someone to teach PHP

reportingsjr

Can someone teach me PHP in like a chat room? No offense but the w3schools tutorial on it is really confusing. I would like to learn php so i can create better websites so I need alot of help... Thanks!

The problem with the w3schools tutorial, along with most other tutorials you will probably find, is that it isn't really much more than eloborated function reference. It explains the basics of what php is and explains how to use a few functions, giving one or two basic examples, but it is very hard to see from there how you might usefully use php in your webpages!I learn't most of my PHP through this book:http://www.samspublishing.com/title/0672326728It's actually written for teaching advanced techniques for integrated PHP and MySQL powered websites, but the first section is about 150 pages just on PHP that will bring you up to scratch so that you can understand the rest of the book even if you've never used PHP before. The strong point about the book is that there is a real emphasis on demonstrating actual practical uses of everything you are being taught, it teaches you PHP by guiding you through the production of a website using much more complicated examples than on any online tutorials I've find, this allows you to see useful applications of php in practice which makes it much easier to understand how you can usefully implement php in your own pages!Just to give you an example - 2 months ago I didn't even understand what php is, so far I've only worked through the first section but I've already managed to use the skills I've learnt from it to build my own basic flatfile content management system.I know this doesn't quite answer your question but I found that it was a really good place to start for me, and if you do have questions after this then you will find that there are loads of really helpful and experienced people on these forums who are always happy to help.

Can you use PHP for client-side scripting. I know you can use it for server-side scripting.

No, as far as I am aware there are no languages that can be used for both server side and client side scripting and php certainly can't, it is only a server side script. The biggest benefit of php is that onced parsed on the server it is removed from the html sent to the browser, this makes your sites clean and secure :)For client side scripting your best option is javascript, unlike the the rivalry found between php and asp, client side scripting is dominated by javascript and thus it is fully supported by all the main browsers.Your comments have made me wonder though.... wouldn't it be nice if someone wrote a client and server side script that both used the same syntax.....