Form Changing Changing Textarea

garyblackpool

The sever which i am using runs on php5 so i think the problam is with the syntax. I keep on getting Fatal error: Function name must be a string. Could you please help cos been searching but have not been able to find anyting thanks.

<form method="post" action="display_input.php"><p><strong> Text Field</strong><br><textarea name="text" cols=45 rows=5 wrap=virtual></textarea></p><p><strong>String Functions</strong></br><input type="radio" name="func" value="md5" checked> get md5<br><input type="radio" name="func" value="strlen" checked> length of string<br><input type="radio" name="func" value="strrev" checked>reverse string<br><input type="radio" name="func" value="strtoupper" string uppercase<br><input type="radio" name="func" value="strtolower" checked>string lowercase3<br><input type="radio" name="func" value="ucwords" checked>first letter capital<br></p><p><input type="submit" name="submit" value="do Something with the String"><p></form>

And this is the other file

<?$func = $POST_["func"];$text1 = $POST_["text1"];$result = $func($text1); ?><html><head<title> Generic Input Results</title></head><body><? echo "$result"; ?><p><a href="generic_form.html">Go again!</a><p></body><html>

Thanks for any help

I'll be surprised if your setup will work. $_POST["func"] will be parsed as a string, not a function reference. You may need to add an eval() statement in there. The following works, for example:

<?php	$str = 'hello';	$func="strlen";	$L= eval("return $func($str);");	echo $L;?>

This will work also:

$str = 'hello';$func="strlen";echo $func($str);

PHP's weird like that. It also works to just use the function reference:

<?php$str = 'hello';$func="strlen";echo $func($str);$func = strlen;echo $func($str);?>

both of those will run strlen.

Naah. You can learn a lot from a PHP4 book. Most ver. 5 features that you'll need you can get from the online manual. You've seen that, right? http://www.php.net/manual/en/index.phpI use it all the time.
Yes I have looked through the manual but it does seem to be rather confusing. Still have not figured how to formate the form on the results page. cheerz

• 4 weeks later...

Archived