Runtime Error Upon Testing Pages

yoshida

I'm learning ASP.net from a book, and I must say it's quite enjoyable and straightforward. Less of a hassle than PHP from what I've experienced.However I'm in day three of learning, and every next day I can't seem to run a previous project. Though I can start a new project and that'll run no problem.The software I'm using is Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 Express edition on Windows 7 build 7100. The warning I get is this one:X:\docs\project folder\project\chapter0203.aspx: ASP.NET runtime error: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. (X:\docs\project folder\project\web.config line 86)It's no doubt a minor serversided issue, like the project being in the wrong folder or a service that refuses to start. I didn't use the Search function because I lack sufficient experience to effectively use the right keywords (so don't nag about it!) and the outcome of this issue will greatly determine my motivation to learn this web language.Definite solutions only please, keep the guesstimation level to a plausible level. if anyone could help me out then that would be greatly appreciated.Thanks, Bram

OK I seem to have 'solved' this. Windows 7 appears to have improved user authentication, so this line <authentication mode="Windows" /> which was referenced in the warning caused the f00k-up. I removed it.

Archived