Sessions And Username

kelleydl

A user can log in and when they click submit takes them to a signin.php which just checks to make sure the user info is correct, and if so registers the username into a session. Then sends it back to the main page which checks to see if the user is registered in a session. I understand storing variable information, but how do I store the username which is registered into a variable? The w3schools tutorial shows how to increment page views into a variable but that doesn't help me understand how to retrieve the current username.

Well, if the username is in a session then you can retrieve the username from said session variable.

let me try to rephrase this.. when the signin.php checks if its correct and it is, i do this.. //username comes from $_POST[username]session_register(username);header("Location:http://www. ");then in my index.php i have...<?php session_start(); if(!session_is_registered(username)){ header("Location:http://www. "); } $_SESSION['user'] = username;?><html>i don't get how to use the username that was registered in the prior page to store in a variable on the session_start() for use in any of my pages.

You shouldn't use session_register, that's the really old way to use the session. Just use the $_SESSION array instead, you write and read to the $_SESSION array like any other array. You can use isset to check if a variable has been set in the session.

The way I do it is just assign the session variable like this://check $_POST["username"] is not empty, sanitize it, check it exists, perhaps update a table with when the user last signed in$_SESSION["username"] = $_POST["username"];session_write_close();then to checkif($_SESSION["username"]) {//whatever you want to do with it} else {//deal with it not being set}I've not had any problems with that whatsoever, and that's all there is to it.

Archived