Making A Shopping Cart Button Work

Skyhammer85

I'm trying to create a shopping cart button and all info leads to using .asp. The problem I'm running into is after the form is made including the submit button, there is an alert box that comes up wanting me to save to my .asp page. Either way, save or not, the next thing that happens is the system brings up Dreamweaver. I'm doing all my work in Wordpad. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?Here is what my code looks like:<body><form method=”post” action="pass-onto-2.asp"><p>Name: <input type=”text” name=”visitorname” size=”30”></p><br><p>I live in: <select name=”country”></p></br><option value=”USA”>USA</option><option value=”Canada”>Canada</option><option value=”Europe”>Europe</option></select><br><p>Comments : </p><textarea name=”comments” cols=”60” Row=”120”></textarea><br><p id="buttons"><input type="submit" value="next page" /></p></form></body></html>Everything works accept when I submit. Oh, one other thing,what is on the .asp page? Is it meant to be blank till something is sent to it or is there a specific file meant to be there?

I don't know ASP, but what should be on the asp page is whatever code is necessary for generating the display you want. For example, in PHP, which is the same idea, you would make a query to a database, finding out what items a user has in their basket, if any. For each item, you would generate say a list item with details of the item, such as price, quantity in basket, a link to the product description, etc. All this would be based on something like the user's id. For the example in question, it looks like you're in one of the checkout pages. You would use the info on that page to calculate different shipping costs or currency conversion and to store and shipping notes. It's an involved process, but the asp page should definately not be empty..

Yeah, you should do at least some rudimentary tutorials, such as you can find on the w3schools.com site. The tutorials for php there are pretty decent, at least as a leg up. More people here use PHP, so if your server supports it, you should consider learning that instead/as well, as there's more help to be had.

By the way, the reason it is asking you to save is because you aren't running a web server.

Archived