Payment Provider Integration

chibineku

Payment Provider Preference  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which would you rather see/happen when checking out?

• Pay on site with no mention of provider
    • Pay on a branded site via WorldPay
    • Pay on a non-branded site via WorldPay
    • Pay on a branded site via Nochex
    • Pay on a non-branded site via Nochex
    • Redirect to PayPal
    • Other provider - please provide details

I am at the point in creating my first eCommerce site (actually, first real site full stop) where I have to start thinking about payment provider integration. We haven't yet set up a bank account for the company, so there is a lot of flexibility at the moment. What names do you like seeing the most? Do I need a real bank account before I can start integration and dummy transactions? I've never done this before and it's crucial to create the right setup so people trust the site, so everyone's info is safe, and so that we don't get ripped off for transaction fees. Any advice is welcome.

Its a tough question to answer because it's different for so many people. I, for one, rarely make any online transactions - I'd rather call or send a check.But, first, you need to identify your audience and guess or survey what they would prefer. Also, you will need to look at how much your typical transaction is going to cost - and does it involve shipping. Then, if you are a new site I think the best way to go is to use a seamless payment system and simply mention (rather obviously) your SSL provider. I think the backend processing is less important to disclose because most users won't know one from the other - in fact I would argue that most user barely know about the significance of SSL - and even would lump the SSL part and the fullfillment together (not knowing any better).So, get a good SSL certificate from a well know provider and put their little (protected by) icons on your transaction pages because that's what most will associate comfort/fear with.

So, get a good SSL certificate from a well know provider and put their little (protected by) icons on your transaction pages because that's what most will associate comfort/fear with.
agreed.

Thanks for the input guys.We have already decided against taking orders by phone, but cheques in the mail is fine, and pose no problems that I have to think about regarding the site. We are dodging the phones because this is not our only business and we don't want to be tied to 9-5 phone watching and have to have terminal rental fees etc. - no thanks. We will either go with the SSL available from our hosting company, or VeriSign, since it's the name I like seeing the best. For the same reason, I think we might go with WorldPay, although they do demand that in addition to a business bank account you also open an internet merchant account (read: holding pen for them to play with your money on the stock market). If I may go off the serious side, it's a little difficult at the moment because the company is a family one, spearheaded by my mother, who knows nothing of this internet (well, she knows enough to crash computers and occasionally place a successful order), is providing little in the way of input about which payment provider she wants, where she is going to set up the bank account, etc.Does anyone know if I need everything like bank accounts in place to sandbox the payment provider?

Archived