Iframes

nuzerog

Hi,My website has two menu bars that I want to remain static while you can scroll throug the content. Currently I am using an iframe for the central body. But I want to try to use something else. Anyone have any suggestions? For reference:marketingtechie.com/index-test2.aspThanksHKIM

Use a division, fix its height, and then set overflow:auto. You can also use position:fixed if you want more of your page to move than not.

Okay, So I have two questions then:1. Can I nest Div tags? <Div><DIv></Div></div>2. I am using tables to format my columns on my page. If I use position:fixed do I need to use just div tags to make my column by positioning each section in a specific place? ThanksHKIM

since you're already working with div's, I would suggest you lose the tables and learn how to markup your pages with <div>'s instead.

1. Can I nest Div tags? <Div><DIv></Div></div>
Yep - you sure can.
2. I am using tables to format my columns on my page. If I use position:fixed do I need to use just div tags to make my column by positioning each section in a specific place?
Tables aren't the best things to use - other elements, in fact every element, like divs and lists and paragraphs can all be styled very extensively, and will give you more freedom than tables will. They should only be used for tabular data like price charts or something. A primary reason is that many users navigate the web not with their eyes but using page readers that read out the elements and content they meet. Tables make it hard to navigate quickly and to really understand the layout of a page. Other than that, as I said, they're just not the best thing - way too much planning and effort. As for position: fixed, you can use it, although generally it gets pretty ugly and you will wish you hadn't. Users don't expect static navigation -hitting page up / home isn't that hard :)

I guess part of the difficulty I am having is I am piecing together a webpage first created 9 years ago. I'm not an experienced programmer nor is it something I will pursue outside the job I currently need to do. Tables were used because I was using an include command to bring in three seperate web pages. I am assuming that I can use DIV to do the same thing, but I am not sure how to manipulate DIV to create three columns. The left column being a navigation bar, the middle the content, and the right some static blurbs and such. Can some one point me to an example of using divs to make columns? Thanks MuchHKIM

Archived