Foreign Key

Err

Hello, I'm trying to set up a foreign key on two InnoBD tables through PHPMyAdmin. I don't see any options to allow this, and the online help documents are very confusing. I was hoping to get help with this.Here's the deal, I have two tables, one named book and the other user. In book I have an id (for the book, and also is a primary key) and a UserId (for the user). I want to link the UserId in book to the UserId in the user table. This is done with a foreign key, but I don't see the option to allow this.Here are some images to get a better idea with what I'm working with:table: booktable: userboth tablesI know this can be done, but I'm not understanding it. Can someone explain how to do this?

CREATE TABLE users (...UserId INT(10) REFERENCES user(UserId),...);

By the way, by convention field names are in lowercase, with underscores (e.g. `user_id').

Since only InnoDB allows foreign keys, I don't think phpMyAdmin has a way to set them up through the interface (although I may be wrong, and maybe the newer versions of phpMyAdmin do have that). You may just need to run an ALTER TABLE query.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, even the latest version of PHPMyAdmin can't do it (if it can, I can't find it). But thank for your help justsomeguy. I found a way to manage the database without having do this.

Archived