Page Layout

alib_15

Hi. I'm looking for some general advice or techniques for page layout. In particular how to design a page that looks equally good on a desktop square monitor and a rectangular laptop screen?I understand they're different resolutions and all but how are you guys going about your designs? Is it just a matter of lots of practise and knowing what works well and what doesn't or are there any good guidelines to be thinking about or heuristics for the box model methodolgy?Ali

Generally, you either make your website so it is fixed-width (e.g. always 960px wide) or so that it fills up the whole screen (using auto widths). Either way, it is not something that PHP controls.

you should try to make the interface, the resolution and position is base on what kind of interface do you want. I can't give an example code before you have problem with the resolution or position. Till now i think there's no absolute / fix resolution, from my experience in making web interface. There's always problem in interface and resolution.

Note - there are no "square" monitors (in common usage), the common aspect ratios are 4:3, 16:10 and 16:9. Also, there are many different resolutions at each aspect ratio.

Sorry there is no link. I'm using WAMP to run my PHP scripts and database. (and I haven't learnt enough yet).It was just a college exercise but its my first proper exposure to html etc and I'm really enjoying it. I posted on the Javascript section and received some good info on the screen properties - screen.availHeight etcthat might be worth experimenting a bit with.Thanks for the help.Ali

Archived