Exam Prices

jugiii

It's $75 per exam, I believe: note that, not to diss the site or anything, but these exams are not affiliated with the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) and reviews of the exams are...not terrific.

• 2 months later...

Aside from a kick-a$$ portfolio, nothing beats old-fashioned college credit. This was not true in 1996, when all anyone looked for was experience and/or skills. But it's a meat-market out there, and businesses can demand almost anything.Look into web-development classes at your local community/technical college. Stay away from programs that are not specifically geared to web development. Courses in computer architecture or C++ are great if you want to be a hard-core professional, but they will delay progress toward your goal. Not all colleges even have the courses you want (though they might try to fool you). Web-development classes might even be offered by the business department instead of computer science. Depends on the school, etc. So look around. You're looking for a department that lists courses like:BIS 1500 Beginning HTMLBIS 1510 Advanced HTMLBIS 1600 Javascript. . . and so on.A lot of technical programs will let you earn credit by passing a test. They still require your tuition money, but you can maybe skip the courses if you know what you're doing. Computer science programs are not technical programs. They are regular programs, like chemistry or English. They want your butt in a chair for 15 weeks.

I did a web development minor at school and there were 6 classes that coverd html, css, dreamweaver, javascript, really basic flash, coldfusion, sql, php/mysql, web services, ajax, and using javascript libraries. The only drawback was that the program never went into OOP so all my code has been procedural. Has anyone done the o'reilly certificates? I keep getting emails about their courses/certificate programs. I wonder if they mean something in the real world. Here's the most recent link I got from them O'reilly Courses

are there web developer certifications that mean something in the real world?
There are some, like the Zend certification for PHP and Microsoft's MCSD for .NET, that are quite good. Of course, as DD said nothing beats formal schooling.

Nothing web development related; I've done a Cert IV (trade cert) in IT Networking, and am about to begin a B.Sc. (m. C.Sc.).

I got started when the only browser out there was Mosaic. (Google it.) The internet hadn't even gone commercial yet, so most developers were connected to colleges and universities, and everyone designed for free, just because it was cool. A few years later, when it did go commercial, and Netscape was the big thing, all you needed was a half-way decent portfolio. "Decent" back then meant knowing how to make rollover buttons with JavaScript. If you could do that, you were in. :)

Bachelor of Science, majoring in Computer Science. I just freelance (occasionally).

They're turning into more of the same thing, the line is becoming blurred. The stuff I'm working on these days looks more like a desktop application than a web site, but everything is online.
Thats pretty neat. Is there a trend into making more applications online you think?

Dear friendsI am from BANGLADESH . I have 8 blogs at the moment .I am 19 years old. Doing SAT-1 And SAT-2 , IELTS, TOFFEL. I have no academic knowledge of computers but I gain some knowledge through those great tutorials .How much time is stipulated for those tutorials to complete( All)? how much valuable those certificates are? I want to be a software Engineer in the future years to come by . let hopes that I can be successful. I have tremendous interest in computer systems.

Archived