Anybody Familiar With Joomla

soozyq

I have been asked to fix a few things on a friends website that has been set up in Joomla. I am not familiar with Joomla but have agreed to take a look. One of the issues is in Internet Explorer 7.0 or lower, on the home page the text in the featured box (containing residential, sites and rental etc) over flows the box it is supposed to be sitting in. This views fine in all other browsers as far as I can see. Is there any way to fix this?There are obviously a few other issues but I am hoping I can fix them.The site in question is;www.vincentwalshauctioneers.ieI would be grateful if anyone has any advice or recommendations.ThanksSooz

you could try adding 'overflow' either overflow:hidden; or overflow:visible;to:div.moduletable_add, .border, div.moduletable-tab .border {border-color:#CCCCCC #CCCCCC -moz-use-text-color;border-style:solid solid none;border-width:1px 1px medium;padding:20px;overflow:hidden; /*try this first*/}

you could try adding 'overflow' either overflow:hidden; or overflow:visible;to:div.moduletable_add, .border, div.moduletable-tab .border {border-color:#CCCCCC #CCCCCC -moz-use-text-color;border-style:solid solid none;border-width:1px 1px medium;padding:20px;overflow:hidden; /*try this first*/}
Thanks for the replySooz

• 2 weeks later...
I have tried this but the css for this section of the site is unwritable. Its a template through joomla. If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated.Thanks

well! you'll obviously have to make the template Writable then! joomla manual explanation belowMake template_css.css Unwritable / Writable: When entering the CSS Editor panel the write status message “template_css.css is: Writable” will be visible on the top line of the panel. To the right of the write status is a check box labelled "Make unwritable after saving. Checking this box will change the file permissions of template_css.css to unwritable once the changes have been saved. When editing of the file has been completed, it is a good idea to make template_css.css Unwritable for security reasons. This will also prevent accidental changes being made as well! It will be noted that the write status has changed to “template_css.css is: Unwritable” If there is a need to alter any of the CSS file settings thereafter it is possible to temporarily activate the write permissions by checking the check-box now labelled “Override write protection while saving” and upon clicking either the Save icon the current changes will be written to the template_css.css file before the setting automatically returns to Unwritable again. To make a more permanent change, to make the file Writable, requires direct manual editing of the file permissions settings of template_css.css file using your FTP software, or direct access to the file through the server control panel, or operating system. Just remember to switch it back to Unwritable again afterwards.

well! you'll obviously have to make the template Writable then! joomla manual explanation belowMake template_css.css Unwritable / Writable: When entering the CSS Editor panel the write status message “template_css.css is: Writable” will be visible on the top line of the panel. To the right of the write status is a check box labelled "Make unwritable after saving. Checking this box will change the file permissions of template_css.css to unwritable once the changes have been saved. When editing of the file has been completed, it is a good idea to make template_css.css Unwritable for security reasons. This will also prevent accidental changes being made as well! It will be noted that the write status has changed to “template_css.css is: Unwritable” If there is a need to alter any of the CSS file settings thereafter it is possible to temporarily activate the write permissions by checking the check-box now labelled “Override write protection while saving” and upon clicking either the Save icon the current changes will be written to the template_css.css file before the setting automatically returns to Unwritable again. To make a more permanent change, to make the file Writable, requires direct manual editing of the file permissions settings of template_css.css file using your FTP software, or direct access to the file through the server control panel, or operating system. Just remember to switch it back to Unwritable again afterwards.
I have tried a couple of things, one being changing the css in notepad and replacing the existing file through direct access but this hasn't made any difference as when I go in through joomla it still says unwritable. I get the message "The parameter file /templates/gk_musictop/params.ini is unwritable!" when I go into the template manager and try and edit i get "Operation Failed!: failed to open "file /usr/local/pem/vhosts/00000/webspace/siteapps/140/htdocs/templates/gk_musictop/css/template_css.css for writing."Im sure I am going about this in completely the wrong way. I dont see “template_css.css is: Writable” anywhere. I appreciate your help. Sorry for all the questions.

Archived