Textarea Line Breaks Lost When I Use Contents In Mailto

chibineku

I have a contact form, very simple, just an e-mail address field, subject field and a textarea. The e-mail message (from the textarea) comes out as one long string, even when I hit the return when typing on the form. Do I need to insert a newline character every X characters myself in PHP before sending the mail?Here is a link so you can see it for yourself:http://sinaesthesia.co.uk/contact_the_webmaster.htmlEdit: Okay, the jitteriness was caused by checking the field inputs onkeyup, now i do it onblur and it looks nicer. So, the textarea thing is the only problem and that's more a PHP issue I think....

No, I hadn't been, but I added that, and to no avail. This is the PHP code:

$headers  = "MIME-Version: 1.0 \r\n";$headers .= "Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 \r\n";$headers .= "To: Jonathon <chibineku@aol.com> \r\n";$headers .= "From: $tr_email \r\n";$to = "chibineku@aol.com";$subject = "AromaClear E-Mail from: $tr_email";  $msg = "From: $tr_email \r\n";  $msg .="Subject: $tr_subject \r\n";  $msg .= "Message: $tr_body \r\n";// Mail itmail($to, $subject, $msg, $headers);

And this is a sample output:From: chibineku@aol.com Subject: test Message: I am testing this to see what the formatting is like for long sentences, and what happens when I hit return. Like now, for example, I left a clear space. This time, no space, but a definate carriage return. Let\'s see No formatting, and no line breaks. Also, the quote that is escaped is odd - I'm not using any sort of encoding, it must be automatic.

If it was being sent as HTML, that's when the line breaks wouldn't appear. Remember that in HTML, line breaks are only displayed if you use <br> elements.You can pass the string through the nl2br() function to see if anything changes.

Great, that did it, thanks!

For some reason, my mailto script only works if I give it a valid 'from' address - i.e. the mail doesn't reach me if I give it something bogus as the from address. That's pretty weird, since the 'to' address is hard coded and doesn't depend on the from address in any way...Hm, think it didn't like the header formatJonathon <chibineku@aol.com>Works okay without just the straight email address.

Most MTAs automatically identify emails with bogus From: fields as spam.

Does that include checking if the domain exists? Spam e-mails with valid domains seem to pass.

Generally they just check the domains from the Received: and From: headers, and if they don't match they mark it as spam. Depends on how strict your spam filter is though.

Archived