Are Links In Php / Javascript Comments Spidered?

chibineku

I have a couple of scripts in my site that are borrowed or lifted - legally - from other sites, including this one, and there are comments which have to remain in tact. These comments contain links to the original site. Are these followed by web spiders? I want them to be, because I have found this site and Stu Nicholl's site extremely useful, and I am aware of the value of link equity. If not, I can create hotlinks and hide them or something.Edit: Hm, I found a spider simulator on seochat.com and it doesn't list the commented out links, but obviously that doesn't speak for every search engine's spiders.

Remember that PHP just generates HTML, so there is no difference between a "HTML link" and a "PHP link", because there is no such thing as a "PHP link".However, most spiders can't execute JavaScript. Also, it is against spec to read commented out markup.

I know spiders don't execute javascript, and I know about php generating HTML, heh, I meant specifically if it's in comments, but that would rather defeat the purpose of them anyway I guess, if browsers went about trying to read them. I did a google search and the general feeling is the same - commented out links are not followed, so no link equity is generated.

Ah, sorry, slightly misunderstood the question. By the way, you can also use rel="nofollow" on an anchor tag to indicate to spiders that the link should be ignored.

That I didn't know :)

Archived