Close paragraph tags cause validation errors

jwermont

I have a simple file that almost passes HTML 4.01 Strict validation, except for two errors: two closing paragraph tags that are flagged as 'end tag for element "P" which is not open.'The tags are like so:

<p class="outer paragraph">        <p class="inner">         Stuff....        </p>        <p class="inner">         More stuff....        </p>   </p>

It's the final </p> that's caught as an error. (I got two errors because there was another piece of the code similarly structured.)The close tags for the inner paragraphs were not flagged as errors. When I removed the two outer close tags, the page validated.Here are the real pages:http://home.sonic.net/~jwermont/portfolio/...v/samples2.html - doesn't passhttp://home.sonic.net/~jwermont/portfolio/...ev/samples.html - passesI don't understand this. Doesn't HTML 4.01 require close tags for all tags? Are nested paragraphs not allowed? Is there a bug in the validation? Could somebody explain this?Thanks!Joyce

It is illegal to have a <p> within a <p> tag.Code should be:

<p class="inner">        Stuff....       </p>       <p class="inner">        More stuff....       </p>

Or

<div class="outerparagraph">       <p class="inner">        Stuff....       </p>       <p class="inner">        More stuff....       </p>       </div>

It is illegal to have a <p> within a <p> tag.
I didn't realize that! (Obviously. :))It works fine, as far as the appearance of the page is concerned.I can change it to a <div>, though, no problem there. Can you have nested <div>'s?Thanks,Joyce

You could also use <span> I think.The differance is <div> displays as block-level element, <span> inline I think.

spans are mostly for text sections. Making a certain part of the text a different color. Spans are not as powerful as divs.

you guys are all exactly correct :)i'll just add that spans can be used for a small amount of text, but you can't nest them within each other.divs have ultimate nestability