Need Explanation And Help

yuxian25

Hi guys, i am attached to a property company. Recently i wish to extract data to find agents who has received more than the minimum percent commission. The table AGENT has 5% as the minimum percent commissionI do the following statement Select agent_ID from AGENT where percent > 5; and it failed. May i know why?Secondly, why the NOT IN and <>ANY(not equal any) do not have the same effect, however <>ALL is equivalent to NOT IN.. why is that so? :)

There are a number of reasons. What is the data type for the column percent? If it isn't INT, then you need quotes around the 5.

$result = mysql_query ("SELECT agent_ID FROM agent WHERE percent > 5") or die(mysql_error());$rownum = mysql_num_rows ($result);$i = 0;// Echo resultswhile ($i < $rownum) {   $agent_id = mysql_result($result,$i,'agent_ID');   echo "<br>Agent ID is $agent_id";   $i++;}

Try this out - hope it helps!If you have any errors please post them here.

That's PHP code by the way, that's only going to work if this is a web application using PHP with a MySQL database. I don't think MySQL has an ANY operator, so I don't think you're using MySQL (let alone PHP).

I do the following statement Select agent_ID from AGENT where percent > 5; and it failed. May i know why?
What was the error message?
however <>ALL is equivalent to NOT IN
They're not equivalent, <>ALL means that the scalar value does not equal every value in the set. NOT IN means that the value is not in the set. <>ANY should match the same things that NOT IN matches, because NOT IN will be true if the value does not appear in the set, and <>ANY will also be true if the value does not appear in the set.

Archived