How Tocheck The Web Page Coding

marossity

I am rather new at this, and I have a question about checking my code to be sure it is correct.This is what I have been doing, and I would like to know if it is a good method or not.I started off by coding a rather large test page, using as many of the examples as possible. I did not copy and paste. I wrote each individual tag. I inserted a dtd as follows:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
Then I saved it as an .html file.I ran it and it appeared to be pretty good. I then changed the file to a .xhtml, and was shocked to find numerous error throughout the file. I individually corrected each error until I had a clean sheet.So, is this a proper way, or does anyone have a suggestion, comment, maybe a snorting chuckle? :)

Thanks for the reply, Synook...I understand that the link you gave is the way to validate the site.I haven't yet set up a web site so I thought the way I described in my first post might be a good way to check the page before "going on the air" with it.As I said, I am new to this, and I am not cool about putting some junk stuff up. I had intended to write everything on my cp, check it, and then hang it out there for all to see. If I seem to be heading down the wrong path, please let me know.Much obliged, for sure.

You can just copy all the code and paste it into the "Validate by Direct Input" form on the validator. That is the best way.

Archived