Is Php Suitable For Stock Technical Analysis?

NobleJms

Recently I've been thinking about developing a website that can do stock technical analysis. Basically it should be able to retrieve historical prices for a given stock, perform some mathematical/statistical calculations on the data, and return the results back to the users in graphs. If possible, I would also like to create some sort of scanner that would allow users to filter for various trading signals. :)I am not sure whether asp.net or php is more suitable for this task. So I called up a friend who works at a big IT firm, and he told me that php is not capable of performing complex calculations with many variables such as those that exist in the stock market. And he recommended asp.net while saying that php is more suitable for simpler tasks. :) I'm asking this because based on research I've done, php seems to run a lot faster, easier to learn, and are used by many many people. So I wasn't sure about what my cousin says....Ideally I would want to have the functionality of the website below:http://www.marketinout.com/chart/stock_analyzer.php#I'd greatly appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks!

PHP can do anything ASP.NET can do. Basic math calculations are possible with any language, all programming languages are just abstracted mathematics (CPUs only do math operations). Notice that the site you linked to is using PHP. The biggest issue with a site like that is finding the historical data in a way that you can use it.

The basic to make a marketinout like website:Step 1: I recommend learning PHP first.Step 2: Combine this with MySQL and learn the proper way of setting up a Normalized and secure database.Step 3: Practise by making functions and small websites in php and learn how to combine it with Xhtml.Step 4: Learn CSS. This is the mark-up language witch allows you to add some graphics. Advanced but certainly recommended especially java script:Step 5: Learn Javascript. (allows you to make a page more userfriendly and include clientside tasks)Step 6: Learn AJAX. It will make a page dynamical and allows interaction between a server and the client without reloading the whole page.You can also use ASP, but for as much as I know it doesn't have any real advantages over php. I only know that there are much tutorials and scripts for php to find, so that's a big advantage for you when you choose php.

Archived