Need Some Advice With A Huge Project

NobleJms

HI! Just want to say hello first since I'm new, hopefully I've come to the right forum :)Recently I've been thinking about developing a website that can do stock technical analysis. Basically it should be able to retrieve historical prices for a given stock, perform some mathematical/statistical calculations on the data, and return the results back to the users in graphs. If possible, I would also like to create some sort of scanner that would allow users to filter for various trading signals.I have extensive financial background and VB experience, however I'm completely new to website building/scripting and databases such as MySQL or SQL server. So I'm not sure whether I'm on the right track. Here my plan (very general): 1. Use Dreamweaver/Fireworks to create the website.2. Use SQL Server for the database 3. Use ASP.NET to process the data and return results back to website.4. Use HostGator for my website host.Of course I would also have to figure out how to get stock price data from Yahoo/GoogleFinance into my database first, but I think it can be done easily and for free, right? :) Some people also said that PHP is faster than ASP.NET, but a IT friend of mine told me that php is not capable of performing complex calculations with many variables such as those that exist in the stock market. Ideally I would want to have the functionality of the website below:http://www.marketinout.com/chart/stock_analyzer.php#I'm about to begin this project, so just want to start on the right path. Do you think there's any better way to work on this (perhaps a different scripting language, database, or other things I may have missed?) I'd greatly appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks! :)

Of course I would also have to figure out how to get stock price data from Yahoo/GoogleFinance into my database first, but I think it can be done easily and for free, right?
That's the thing to find out, you'll need to check around the Yahoo or Google sites and look for developer information about those services, they might have a public API that you can use to query the data.
Some people also said that PHP is faster than ASP.NET, but a IT friend of mine told me that php is not capable of performing complex calculations with many variables such as those that exist in the stock market.
Virtually every programming language is capable of everything that every other language is capable of. Some things might take more or less code to do, but any language can do anything that any other language can.

Archived