Character encoding

DarkElf

When I validate my pages using the w3c validator they always pass 'tentatively', and I get the following warning:No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8.I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information it is impossible to reliably validate the document. I'm falling back to the "UTF-8" encoding and will attempt to perform the validation, but this is likely to fail for all non-trivial documents. I've searched and searched and can't workout what this is about! I've tried comparing my pages to other pages which validate without this error and can't see what I'm missing! Can anybody enlighten me?

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />Can you find something like that in your <head> tagset? The charset can vary though.

It all depends on what characters you need. I personally use UTF-8 for english content and windows-1251 for Cyrilic (Bulgarian) content pages. Each of the ISOs and other encodings specify characters, relevant to the targeted alphabet and/or other specific symbols.