What Should I Learn Before I Start To Learn Ajax?

VKing

Hello, I want to start learning AJAX. As I know it's based on JavaScript and XML. I know JavaScript basicly so I started to learn XML. Then I noticed that it brings me to other languages like XML Schema, XML DOM, HTML DOM and etc. I'm realy confused... Does it necessary for AJAX? Can I learn only JavaScript and XML in order to learn AJAX?BTW, I already know XHTML, CSS and PHP.

You actually don't even need to know XML to do AJAX. Data from your server can be sent in many formats. XML is just one of them. If you want to learn it great. And you can actually do some pretty cool things without learning Schema or XSLT or that kind of stuff.You will need to know about XML DOM in order to use XML when it arrives at the browser. Fortunately, the methods are the same as a lot of HTML DOM methods. And there's no rule that says you need to understand the HTML DOM. It's there if you actually need to change the structure of your document. If you don't, you won't need it. AJAX does not imply any changes to the HTML DOM.AND it is possible to use AJAX without XML. I'd even guess that most developers use AJAX without XML. The response from your server can be: nothing, a single letter that indicates success or failure, a string of several words, some HTML, or JavaScript objects serialized in JSON format.To master the AJAX technique, I don't even recommend messing with XML or JSON. First, try a system where the response is always the same, no matter what you send from the browser. When the response arrives, simply alert() it to show that you got it. The next step as you learn would be to respond with exactly the same text that you sent to the server. When you can do that, you pretty much have it. XML is just another layer of complexity that you can add or forget about.

Thank you very much for this informative answer. So I don't realy have to learn XML, but I already began and learned all the BASIC chapters here. As I see it, XML is very usefull and I going to buy a XML based software, so I need to learn XML in order to instal the software on my site. However, firstly I have to learn AJAX than I will continue with XML.Thank you again. I glad that I found W3Schools :)

As I see it, XML is very usefull and I going to buy a XML based software, so I need to learn XML in order to instal the software on my site.
What software is this?

For what it's worth, all of my recent projects are heavily using ajax and PHP (i.e. > 99% of the code is Javascript, PHP, or CSS, < 1% is HTML), and I literally never use XML, for anything really. I'm not telling you not to learn the theory of it, but you definitely don't need to know really anything about it in order to make good applications.

What software is this?
FusionCharts. I found it thanks to the ads on W3Schools.I downloaded the free package. Actually, I don't realy have to use XML to instal it, but it helped me to understand how the application works.
For what it's worth, all of my recent projects are heavily using ajax and PHP (i.e. > 99% of the code is Javascript, PHP, or CSS, < 1% is HTML), and I literally never use XML, for anything really. I'm not telling you not to learn the theory of it, but you definitely don't need to know really anything about it in order to make good applications.
You are right, but I want to learn at least the basic XML.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived