Changing Background Position

garyblackpool

hi,U have been trying to change the background position property but mozilla brower does not support style.backgroundPositionX but mozilla does not except that. So I have now changed my function to this but it does now work. Could someone help thanks.gary

var x = 10; //Starting Location - leftvar y = 10; //Starting Location - topvar dest_x = 400; //Ending Location - leftvar dest_y = 200; //Ending Location - topintervalX = Math.ceil(dest_x/dest_y);intervalY = Math.ceil(dest_y/dest_x)function moveimg() {if(x > dest_x) {x -= intervalX;} else if(x < dest_x) {x += intervalX}if(y > dest_y) {y -= intervalY;} else if(y < dest_y) {y += intervalY}// Just in case we're closer to the destination than the motion intervalif(Math.abs(dest_x - x) < intervalX) x = dest_x;if(Math.abs(dest_y - y) < intervalY) y = dest_y;if (x != dest_x || y != dest_y) {// Repeat the operationdocument.getElementById("landscape").style.backgroundPosition = 'x+'px' 'y+'px";window.setTimeout(moveimg,300);}}</script>

document.getElementById("landscape").style.backgroundPosition = 'x+'px' 'y+'px";
is it these mismatching quotation marks?plus, would you need to have a comma inbetween the x and y coordinates? Or maybe parantheses around them?

I thought i had it working but i dont (thats why this is edited). I way i got it to working firefox was:

document.getElementById("landscape").style.backgroundPosition = x+'px';document.getElementById("landscape").style.backgroundPosition = y+'px';

But that just adds the x and y destination together.Cheers

hi,I now have the function working usingdocument.getElementById("landscape").style.backgroundPosition = x+'%' +y+'%';but i have a new problem which is the function itself., if i move an image it will work fine but with the background it does not. If Y is set 100, and X set 200, when it gets to Y it just stops. I think the problem is with thisif (x != dest_x || y != dest_y) which i have changed to && and !=. Is it that or a problem with using background percentages?Thanks

hi,I now have the function working usingdocument.getElementById("landscape").style.backgroundPosition = x+'%' +y+'%';but i have a new problem which is the function itself., if i move an image it will work fine but with the background it does not. If Y is set 100, and X set 200, when it gets to Y it just stops. I think the problem is with thisif (x != dest_x || y != dest_y) which i have changed to && and !=. Is it that or a problem with using background percentages?Thanks
You need to put a space between the first value and the second. And if you use percentages rather than pixels, it's not going to get where you want it to.document.getElementById("landscape").style.backgroundPosition = x+'px ' +y+'px';

You need to put a space between the first value and the second. And if you use percentages rather than pixels, it's not going to get where you want it to.document.getElementById("landscape").style.backgroundPosition = x+'px ' +y+'px';
Oh whoop that works. I thought tried that. Thanks.Do you know what it would be just to effect the Y-axis,Thanks you very muchGary

Oh whoop that works. I thought tried that. Thanks.Do you know what it would be just to effect the Y-axis,Thanks you very muchGary
You have to leave the X value constant, like this:document.getElementById("landscape").style.backgroundPosition = '5px ' +y+'px';But you really should keep track of both X and Y values before applying the backgroundPosition property. Maybe you want an extra variable constX that contains an unchanged value of X.

You have to leave the X value constant, like this:document.getElementById("landscape").style.backgroundPosition = '5px ' +y+'px';But you really should keep track of both X and Y values before applying the backgroundPosition property. Maybe you want an extra variable constX that contains an unchanged value of X.
Oh cheers thanksgary

Archived