Highlight After Search

kkkaiden

Im using this code to search my database:

<?phpinclude'connect.php';mysql_select_db($dbname);$search=$_POST["search"];echo "<div class='searchheader'><h2 style='margin: auto;'>Search results for '$search'</h2></div>";$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table WHERE title OR description LIKE '%$search%'");while($r=mysql_fetch_array($result)){ $title=$r["title"]; $description=$r["description"]; echo "<div class='text alternative'><h2>$title</h2>" . "<p>$description</p></div>";}?>
After it finds the results I want the $search to be highlighted, how would I do that?

You can perform a str_replace() on the $title and $description to add a highlight, e.g.

"<p>" . str_replace($search, "<span class=\"highlight\">$search</span>", $description) . "</p></div>";

You can perform a str_replace() on the $title and $description to add a highlight, e.g.
"<p>" . str_replace($search, "<span class=\"highlight\">$search</span>", $description) . "</p></div>";

thanks, can you tell me how to make my search only find whole words and make it so it isnt case sensitive.

To be case insensitive, just convert everything to lowercase before comparing.To search for only whole words, you can search for the phrase surrounded by spaces.Note you also have a logical error in your code, you have to compare each field individually.