<col> And <colgroup> Tags

atar.yosef

Hello fellows!!!!I would like to hear your opinion, what is the difference between the <col> tag to the <colgroup> tag, because according to my experiments, these both tags behave the same, can someone who know what is anyway the difference?

Ideally, element tags should have a meaning, not just a special appearance. Browsers like IE or Firefox do not care very much about that, but some browsers do, especially bots that read pages for indexes like Google, and also browsers designed for people with disabilities. All you're probably looking at now is appearance. But these other browsers are concerned with the meaning, and a colgroup should mean something different from a column.

Ideally, element tags should have a meaning, not just a special appearance. Browsers like IE or Firefox do not care very much about that, but some browsers do, especially bots that read pages for indexes like Google, and also browsers designed for people with disabilities. All you're probably looking at now is appearance. But these other browsers are concerned with the meaning, and a colgroup should mean something different from a column.
OK, so what is the difference at the meaning of these two tags?

A <col> element indicates that all the vertical table cells are related to eachother, forming a column.A <colgroup> element indicates that several columns are related and can be grouped together.

A <col> element indicates that all the vertical table cells are related to eachother, forming a column.A <colgroup> element indicates that several columns are related and can be grouped together.
Thank you about your relationship, but I already succeed to group several columns together and form (style) them as a one unit by adding the attribute "span" to the <col> element.For this reason, still these two elements are apparently eual.

For this reason, still these two elements are apparently eual.
Their appearance may be equal, but their meaning is not.

Archived