Rank Based On Score?

astralaaron

Hi, in my table I have a player name and score...Rodrigo - 2700Rick -2200Tammy - 1000Jennifer - 400The scores change constantly.I am just wondering: say each person has a profile... how would you display their rank? in Rodrigo's #1 Ricks #2 etc...it sounded like something simple in my mind at first but I started confusing it.right now I think I can make it work by looping through the table and incrementing a variable then breaking the loop once it reaches the right user..?anyway, I was just wondering how you guys would do it.

I think it is best to put them in an array first:

<?php$scores["Rodrigo"] = 2700;$scores["Tammy "] = 1000;$scores["Rick "]	  = 2200;$scores["Jennifer "] = 400;sort($scores); //Build-in php function to sort array'secho "scores for today sorted by highst points";foreach ($scores AS $key => $val) {   echo $key." with ".$val." points.<br />";}?>

It is not clear to me what you have and what you want. Can you give me some code that you have right now?
hmm I don't see how I can make it any more clear.they each have a profile and I want to display their rank inside of their profile. there is no code yet just the table in the database.

Ok:Step 1: Make links like:<a href='profile.php?name=Rodrigo'>Rodrigo</a><br /><a href='profile.php?name=Tammy'>Tammy</a><br /><a href='profile.php?name=Rick'>Rick</a><br /><a href='profile.php?name=Jennifer'>Jennifer</a><br />Step 2: Make a profile.phpStep 3: Make a query in profiles.php. My example is in MySQLi

<?php//$_GET['name'] contains the name given in the url//Never forget to secure $_GET globals to prevent SQL-injection$name = mysqli_real_escape_string($mysqli, $_GET['name']);//Make query$sql = "SELECT * FROM profiles WHERE name='".$name."'";//Activate query and give error on failureif(!$Profiles= $mysqli->query($sql)){  trigger_error('Fout in query: '.$mysqli->error);}//Query succeededelse{ //Get profile data  if($profile= $Profiles->fetch_assoc())  {	 //Show the score of the given profile	 echo "<p><strong>Welcome on the profile of ".$profile['name']."</strong></p>";	 echo $profile['name']" now has ".$profile['score']." points!!<br />";  }}?>

Ok:Step 1: Make links like:<a href='profile.php?name=Rodrigo'>Rodrigo</a><br /><a href='profile.php?name=Tammy'>Tammy</a><br /><a href='profile.php?name=Rick'>Rick</a><br /><a href='profile.php?name=Jennifer'>Jennifer</a><br />Step 2: Make a profile.phpStep 3: Make a query in profiles.php. My example is in MySQLi
	 echo $profile['name']" now has ".$profile['score']." points!!<br />";

I want this:

echo $profile['name']" is Rank # ".$rank." !!<br />";

do you understand?

http://arjen-lentz.livejournal.com/56292.html
SELECT COUNT(*)+1 FROM profiles WHERE score > (SELECT score FROM profiles WHERE name='$name')

Basically "tell me how many people, plus one, there are with a score higher than that of {$name}s".

Archived