Menu Items - Float Or Inline-block?

nachumk

I have a sample up at http://www.nkcorner.com/tmp.php (tested on chrome and firefox and ie latest versions for windows xp 32)I have been trying to get a better grasp of when to use floats and when to use inline... As part of this I want to implement my menus. The menu text should become larger when floating over it. I use a pseudo class to accomplish this. With float the menus stay in place when I change the font size. With inline-block the item moves since the larger text starts one pixel lower. Does this mean I should implement with floats or is there a better way to implement using a non-float method?I get the feeling that floats are overused and especially by me...The code has 2 menus - the first menu uses floats and performs properly, and the second uses display inline block.thank you,Here's the code:<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"> <html lang="en-US"> <head> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8559-1"> <style type="text/css">.topMenuItem { height:25px; width:100px; background-color:red; text-align:center; font-size:14px; padding-top:10px;}a .topMenuItem:hover { font-size:16px;}.floatLeft { float:left;}.inlineBlock { display:inline-block;}</style></head> <body> <a href='about.php'><div class='topMenuItem floatLeft'>about</div></a> <a href='pictures.php'><div class='topMenuItem floatLeft'>pictures</div></a> <a href='blog.php'><div class='topMenuItem floatLeft'>blog</div></a> <div style="clear:both;height:50px;"></div><a href='about.php'><div class='topMenuItem inlineBlock'>about</div></a> <a href='pictures.php'><div class='topMenuItem inlineBlock'>pictures</div></a> <a href='blog.php'><div class='topMenuItem inlineBlock'>blog</div></a> </body> </html>

I usually use lists for menu's, and depending on if they're horizontal or not, I float them to get them all on one line.
Don't you find issues using floats with the ability to tab through links? I find that I can't tab through floated links properly in Chrome and even in Firefox I find that the links are no longer highlighted when tabbing through them.

I've never tried using tab to go through menu's on webpages, I just use my mouse. Do many people actually use tab? I didn't know you could do that. Huh.

I've never tried using tab to go through menu's on webpages, I just use my mouse. Do many people actually use tab? I didn't know you could do that. Huh.
Using tabs is very important, for example if your mouse is broken... also it's pleasant if you're a vim user like myself and want to get around quickly without lifting your hand from the keyboard. i don't usually navigate the web that way but i definitely want it to work at least for the first reason i stated.it's weird - in firefox the floated elements get selected by tab but in chrome they don't... do you know if there is a better way to accomplish what i want with my menus without using float, and without having to hack pixel heights in the css?

I went to the last two websites I made with with float: left menus and tabs do work on it, pretty cool. I don't use Chrome though, sorry.

Archived