[resolved] Bank Not Working

kirbyweb

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

basically only add money to the bank IF it is less than 500, else exit, or stop, or return, or whatever you want to have your code do based on it meeting/not meeting certain conditions.

I'm not sure what you mean. You tend to describe your problems in abstract terms, which I know makes sense to you but it's not how I think. Like you say when you upgrade the bank the money gets lowered, but I'm not sure what that means in terms of the actual data. In terms of the numbers in the database, I'm not sure what it means to upgrade a bank, or to lower the money. The way I think of web applications is that you've got your data stored in the database, and virtually every page is either reading information from the database, or writing information to it. So, I tend to think in terms of data either going in or going out, when you use the abstract terms like banks and money it's hard for me to follow what that means for your application. In fact, it might help you to think of the pages as input/output for the database instead of anything more. I understand where you're coming from, because I was there at one point, I'm just having a hard time following because I don't know the details of your application.

I'm not sure if this applies, but you may need to use a cron job. A cron job is like a scheduled task in Windows, you can schedule a cron job to run in the future. I've got an application that uses a cron job to send emails, for example. So this job runs every minute, and it's a PHP script that checks for emails in the database ready to send and sends emails if there are any to send. If your application requires things to happen each minute, then you might want to create a PHP script that you can schedule to run each minute which will check for things in your database that need to be updated. So you could have a script that runs through everyones accounts and updates their money or whatever your application does. Does that sound like what you need to do?

I'm still not real clear on what you're trying to do, I don't understand what you mean by this:

if 15 minutes have gone by it will still be at 500 but when I make the number to 0 then it will go up 15 numbers.
Do you want something to run every minute, or do you want it to keep track of the last time you loaded the page and just calculate what needs to happen for the number of minutes that passed?

OK the number goes up every minute, when it reaches at 500 then it stops going up every minute, if 15 minutes have past and the number is still at 500 it will not go up, so 15 minutes past, lets say I change the number back to 0 from my db, then since 15 minutes past, (it was at 500 so it would not go up anymore) the number would then go from 0 to 15, since 15 minutes past when it was at 500. How do I stop this.

Isn't that what you want to happen? If the max is 500 and it increases by 1 every minute as long as it is under the max, and if you reset it to 0 it will start going up again. Isn't that how you would want it to work? Or are you saying that if it idles for 15 minutes and then you reset it, that it immediately jumps to 15?

I know this isn't the code you're using now, but look at it:

if ($username['money']>=500&&$username['bank']<1){die('User\s money 500');}if ($money > 0) {	//lets update users table	mysql_query("UPDATE `castle wars users` SET lastupdate=lastupdate+$extraTime, money=money+$money WHERE id= '$username[id]'") or die(mysql_error());}

It updates the timestamp and the money. There is nothing else where it updates the timestamp. It only updates the timestamp if it also updates the money. You need to update the timestamp always, regardless of whether or not the money is updated also.

This is part of my code, is this correct?Now it does not update the money regardless if its 500 or not.

$username = mysql_fetch_array($query);$last = $username['lastupdate']; //timestamp from db$extraTime = time() - $last;$money = floor($extraTime / 60);if ($username['money']<499){if ($money > 0) {	//lets update users table	mysql_query("UPDATE `castle wars users` SET lastupdate=lastupdate+$extraTime, money=money+$money WHERE id= '$username[id]'") or die(mysql_error());}echo 'user\'s money:'. ((int)$username['money']+(int)$money) .'money.';}else echo 'user\'s money: 500';	//lets update users table	mysql_query("UPDATE `castle wars users` SET lastupdate=lastupdate+$extraTime WHERE id= '$username[id]'") or die(mysql_error());?>

I will try and figure out how if you will not help.
If I won't help? What do you think I'm doing here? The point is to get you to try things and figure out how this works. This is your project, not mine. If you don't want my help, just say so.I don't see any errors in that code, that will update the money if the user has 498 or less and the money to add is greater than 0. If the user has more than 498 then it will write that the user has 500. But if it updates the money then it will update the timestamp twice, once when it updates the money and once at the end. It should only update the timestamp at the end.

Archived