Validation Output Errors

multiLady

I am at the very beginning of making a web page - I made just a background and a centered container.What bothers me are the validator output errors. It would make me very happy if there were no errors at the begining.I choose a doctype HTML 4.01 Transitional and I guess the rest of things (generated by dreamweawer) can not be mixed:"...the document type you are using does not support that attribute..."I don't know much about it - can you tell me what should I choose/change?What is the most common things going together with "HTML 4.01 Transitional"Site I am making will be nothing special, most common html page , maybe flash header.Here is the siteExample: siteExamplePlease take a look at the source and go check with http://validator.w3.org/P.S.: Ignore the post before, it was a mistake, wrong click

Edited by multiLady

Well, to be honest, it would be better practice to use a Strict doctype. It will ensure greater compatibility amongst those who use different browsers to view your web page.Anyway, as far as the errors you have, the first one:

Line 2, Column 13: Attribute "XMLNS" is not a valid attribute. Did you mean "onmouseup" or "onmouseover"?
XMLNS is a reference to XML namespacing, and is required for XHTML doctypes. Since you are using HTML 4.01, you don't need this line.The warning and the error:
Line 4, Column 68: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YESLine 4, Column 69: character data is not allowed here
Are both for the same thing, which is that you have a / before the closing > . Self closing tags are only required for documents with an XHTML doctype. Remove the / and you should be all good. Edited by thescientist

its the only way to go :)it's even more practical since you've already gotten in the good habit of validating early. It's much more pragmatic to use a strict DTD and validate often and learn along the way, rather than waiting till you're done, trying it out, and then realizing your page shows like 50 errors, and then you have to fix everypage.

Edited by thescientist