Uploading Photos To Mysql Or File

Redroest

Hey people, I am working on a photoalbum script for my phpnuke version. I can accomplish almost anything on it. Since I am not satisfied with the Gallery2 module I decided to make my own photoalbum. Since I don't have any experience in building a photoalbum I want to ask you people on how to work. I read that there are two ways to store files on a server. -The first one is by making a binary version of the photo and than store it into a mysql database. -The second one is to just store the files on the server and storing the metadata in a mysql database wich can be retrieved trough a unique url or photoname.Here's my question. What version is the best one considering: speed, serverspace, security, large files, small files, number of pictures etc??Thanks in advance

Speed: FSSpace: DB, but sometimes hosts have additional restrictions on DB space.Security: DB, if you mean unauthorized access of the photos.Large files: FSSmall files: DBThe main reason you would store the photos in the DB, IMO, is because of portability - if you moved hosts in the future, you only have to move the DB, instead of having to also try to recreate your old filesystem on the new server, which can be irritating especially depending on what sort of backups you have.

Archived