My Site Template

behnazutx

Hi there. I am working on the design of my blog/professional portfolio. It is only my second Web design project, and I am coding it from scratch and then planning to convert it into a WordPress theme.I've gotten as far as creating the basic template of the site, but I ran across a few CSS issues that I could not figure out how to fix. Also, I'd like to get someone to take a look at my code so I can make sure there is nothing glaringly wrong before I proceed to coding the individual pages. I have Dreamweaver's validation tool and also the Web Developer's toolbar on Firefox, but sometimes its nice to get a pair of human eyes I've posted on the template on my domain already and you can take a look at it here: http://behnaz.infoMy main problems are with the layers based layout - I'd really like someone to review the code here. I need the right sidebar to start at the top of the page and for there to be a bit of gap or white space between the maincontent and sidebar divs and the footer div. You can take a look at my original mockup at http://behnaz.info/homepagemockup.png to get an idea for what I am trying to achieve with the layout.Also, I am not sure if I used the proper technique to position all the items in the second line of the footer. For example, in IE, the copyright statement drops into its own line whereas I would simply like it to float it to the right of the second line.Also, any suggestions/critiques on the design itself would be appreciated.

Line 25 is showing an extra </ul> tag. Actually, I think the one a few lines above it is the extra one.The reason that the sidebar is not extending up to the top of the display is because it is 'floated' and in order to get it up to the top, the code for the header needs to follow the sidebar code. (or the sidebar code needs to first in order to do what you want. I tried it on a local copy and it worked by moving the header code down between the sidebar/main content divs.As to the copyright line, I only have IE8 on XP and it looked fine to me. You may need to affect the change in IE6 and 7 using IE Conditional Comments. Perhaps a negative margin-top would work?Nice clean layout. I like it.

Your home page is missing an h1 heading element. According to the spec you cannot skip heading elements. Also it might be better for SEO purposes if you put the maincontent before the sidebar in your html, and put an h1 element in the maincontent before the first paragraph.Also, try not to use <br /> tags for spacing, they should really only be used to create line breaks within paragraphs.Other than its good, and I like your design

I like the layout, looks pretty clean, although it would be nice to see it with some content within the pages.if you can, it might not hurt to try and upgrade to a strict doctype, and/or validate your code. (strict will help tighten up discrepancies commonly associated with IE browsers)

Archived