Generate Code

Panta

Web masters please can you look into my script.i want a script that will generate code at random and insert it to my database.but my script is not working

<?  include 'config.php'; $submit=$_POST['Submit']; if($submit){$no = 1;while ($no <= $_POST['no'] )     { $pin = rand(1000000000,9999999999); mysql_query("INSERT INTO logincount	              (`pin`)				  VALUES				  ('$pin')") or die(mysql_error());				  	$no++;	}		echo "<font color='green'>". $_POST['no']. " Pin number(s) have been generated</font>";}		 ?><form name="form1" id="form1" method="post" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">  <table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" width="62%">    <tbody>      <tr>        <td colspan="3" style="background-color: Silver;"><div align="center"> <strong><span style="font-size: 12pt;">Personal Identification Number Generator</span></strong> </div></td>      </tr>      <tr>        <td width="66%" align="right">Please enter the number of PINS you want to generate. </td>        <td width="20%"><input name="no" maxlength="16" id="no" />        </td>        <td width="14%">(example, 20)  </td>      </tr>      <tr>        <td align="right"> </td>        <td>         </td>        <td> </td>      </tr>      <tr>        <td></td>        <td style="text-align: left;"><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Generate" /></td>        <td></td>      </tr>    </tbody>  </table></form><p> </p>

will be waTIN

I have never seen anyone use $_POST in a WHILE loop. That's probably what's causing your problem. Setting it to a variable before you use it would be better. Also, the way you have your WHILE loop set up, is exactly the way a FOR loop works, and looks muchcleaner.

<?php  include 'config.php';  $submit = $_POST['Submit'];  $no = $_POST['no'];  if ($submit) {	for ($i = 1; i <= $no; $i++) {	  $pin = rand(1000000000,9999999999);	  mysql_query("INSERT INTO logincount (`pin`) VALUES ('$pin')") or die(mysql_error());	}	echo "<font color='green'>$no Pin number(s) have been generated</font>";  }	?>

Anything from $_POST is a string, not a number. If you're going to be comparing it as a number you should use intval to convert it first. Right now you're comparing a number with a string instead of a number with a number.
So can you tell me how to convert it to number

I guess it's just a semantic issue, intval is specifically for converting a string to an integer where adding zero or multiplying by one seems like a hack, if you want to convert it to an integer might as well do it explicitly instead of as a side effect of automatic type casting. Future programmers looking at your code might not know what you're trying to do.

Archived