Htaccess Help

driz

Hi, I want to make a login.php file look like /account/ and also make all requests to that file become that url as well, so say a person types login.php?logout=true it will become /account?logout=trueFrom what I understand it will require both a mod_rewrite of the url and also a redirect for when a person access the query

You don't have to redirect, you can use RewriteCond to capture the querystring.Something like:

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (.*)RewriteRule ^account/$ login.php?%1

Tried that but it doesn't work. Just to clarify what I want to happen:If I type this: http://domain.com/login.php or http://domain.com/login.php?loggedout=true or if a script links to that file etc then the URL will be auto rewritten as http://domain.com/account/ or http://domain.com/account/?loggedout=trueThe code provided still allowed me to access login.php as domain.com/login.php and showed 404 when looking at /account/Thanks

I'll fiddle with it when I have access to my test server. Note you will still be able to access the target page using its original address unless you further rewrite or deny it.

I'll fiddle with it when I have access to my test server. Note you will still be able to access the target page using its original address unless you further rewrite or deny it.
If you can still access the file and the system is directing to that file then the current rewrite isn't much good. I need it to change it to the new URL.

URL rewriting doesn't change the URL the user types in, it just instructs the server to direct various URLs which otherwise don't exist to other resources for handling.
That's what I meant. I need the file to remain as login.php but I don't want to be accessible. If someone either types it in or a script links to it then the URL is automatically changed to /account/

Ooh, I thought you wanted requests to account/ to be sent to login.php. You need to use a [R]edirect, e.g.

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (.*)RewriteRule ^login.php$ account/?%1 [R]

Ooh, I thought you wanted requests to account/ to be sent to login.php. You need to use a [R]edirect, e.g.
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (.*)RewriteRule ^login.php$ account/?%1 [R]

Sorry I guess I wasn't clear enough :) It now redirects fine to the /account/ but it just throws a 404 error. /account/ doesn't actually exist so what should happening is the user is looking at login.php but the url says /account/ so its just making the url nicer but not actually redirecting to a directory called /account/ just making it look as though it is.

So you want login.php to redirect to the account directory that doesn't exist, and then you want requests to the account directory to load login.php?This may be a silly question, but why don't you either just use login.php, or rename login.php to /account/index.php and then just link directly to the account directory? If you have the /account/index.php file requests like /accounts/?user=1 will load the index file.In other words, what's the point of redirecting? What problem does it solve?

So you want login.php to redirect to the account directory that doesn't exist, and then you want requests to the account directory to load login.php?This may be a silly question, but why don't you either just use login.php, or rename login.php to /account/index.php and then just link directly to the account directory? If you have the /account/index.php file requests like /accounts/?user=1 will load the index file.In other words, what's the point of redirecting? What problem does it solve?
I need login.php to remain as login.php as its part of a core system that auto-updates.Essentially what I'm trying to do is the same as:domain.com/index.php?id=about becoming domain.com/about/and if the user trys to access domain.com/index.php?id=about then it auto becomes domain.com/about/But I'm wanting to do it with a file called login.php

Well, then you need both! :)

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (.*)RewriteRule ^login.php$ account/?%1 [R]RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (.*)RewriteRule ^account/$ login.php?%1 [L]

Note: I'm not actually sure whether that will work.

Archived